GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   does this plant have too much water or not enough? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/40187-does-plant-have-too-much-water-not-enough.html)

Tom 12-08-2003 02:22 AM

does this plant have too much water or not enough?

http://home.comcast.net/~web987/Picture_020.jpg

Why is this plant dying?

Tom 12-08-2003 02:22 AM

does this plant have too much water or not enough?

http://home.comcast.net/~web987/Picture_019.jpg

Here is the correct URL.

Fito 12-08-2003 02:22 AM

"Tom" wrote in message
http://home.comcast.net/~web987/Picture_020.jpg

Why is this plant dying?

Because it is being fed helicopters instead of water. The metal in the
helicopter cant be absorbed by the plant effiiciently. Do a google search
for "helicoptitis". That will explain it much better than I ever could.

Fito

David Hill 12-08-2003 02:22 AM

does this plant have too much water or not enough?

",,,,, http://home.comcast.net/~web987/Picture_020.jpg

Why is this plant dying? ......."

Either because its roots are several hundred feet from the
soil............OR.......
You've posted the wrong Picture.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Pelvis Popcan 12-08-2003 02:22 AM

does this plant have too much water or not enough?

There's two things that it looks like to me:

One is blight. That means while it has enough water, it is infected
with fungus. Plants have a sort of pressure system that "pumps" them
full of water. The pressure system is held together by the cell walls.
When the fungus interferes with this, it wilts and dyes.

I know this is an anti-chemical group, but I don't know of a non
chemical alternative to try and save the plant if blight is the
problem. I would cut off the wilted and dead leaves and stems, then
apply Ortho Garden Disease Control (Chlorothalonil) to it. That might
save it. Ortho Garden Disease Control used to be called Daconil. It's
2.25 teaspoons per gallon. Put that in a mister and mist the plant
with it.

The other thing is that it could be over fertilized. When this
happens, the salts from the fertilizers build up in the ends of the
leaves, causing them to die and turn brown ("burning" them). If that's
the case, stop fertilizing immediately, pull out any "plant spikes" or
any fertilizer prills or granules on the surface, and thoroughly soak
with water.

The other thing I'd suggest is go to your local home improvement store
and pick up two or three bricks. Set the bricks down and put the
container on top of the bricks, insuring that the drainage hole on the
bottom is exposed and not covered by the brick. This will insure good
drainage.

David Hill 12-08-2003 02:23 AM

does this plant have too much water or not enough?

"............ Why is this plant dying? ..........."

Looks as if it has been hit by a touch of contact weedkiller.....

Otherwise it could have got very dry and the tips of those leaves caught the
sun and scorched.......though Agapanthus being S.African is used to hot dry
conditions.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

jammer 12-08-2003 06:22 AM

does this plant have too much water or not enough?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:15:10 -0700, "Tom"

http://home.comcast.net/~web987/Picture_019.jpg

Here is the correct URL.

Uh....airplane plant?

jammer 12-08-2003 06:22 AM

does this plant have too much water or not enough?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:12:19 -0700, "Tom"
wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~web987/Picture_020.jpg

Why is this plant dying?

Take a good look at the picture and there is the problem. It isn't
dieing, in fact it looks great. The leaves are burned from the sun. If
making shade there isn't possible, trim those leaves back a bit. I
like to cut them at an angle.

Mark Anderson 12-08-2003 07:12 AM

does this plant have too much water or not enough?

In article says...
http://home.comcast.net/~web987/Picture_020.jpg

Why is this plant dying?

It looks like you're having problems with black helicopters too.