Old 05-02-2003, 06:16 PM
Gabriel

Default Commercial growing of a moss garden

I have read many articles which suggest using Yogurt or buttermilk to
grow moss. I have done it once, but I don't think this would be a
practical proposal for a large surface of the garden, or for someone
who has interest in growing moss for the production of potting soil.
Is there an organic fertilizer that suits moss culture ?
Old 06-02-2003, 05:48 AM
Wendy B G

I have read many articles which suggest using Yogurt or buttermilk to
grow moss. I have done it once, but I don't think this would be a
practical proposal for a large surface of the garden, or for someone
who has interest in growing moss for the production of potting soil.
Is there an organic fertilizer that suits moss culture ?

Speaking as a chemist, both buttermilk and yogurt are aqueous emulsions that
contain lactic acid (a metabolic product of the bacteria that ferment the
milk).

The typical pH of regular milk is 6.4 to 6.6 (slightly acidic). The pH of
cheese, yogurt and buttermilk is 4.0 to 4.8, which is about the same acidity as
vinegar. It is often stated that moss prefers a moist, acidic environment.

Yogurt and buttermilk also contain quite a bit of protein, which is a nitrogen
source.

If I was trying to formulate an inexpensive moss-encouraging fertilizer, I
would blend a solution of a commercial fertilizer with white vinegar...or use a
fertilizer developed for acid-loving plants (such as Miracid).

Wendy
Wilmington, DE (Zone 7)

Old 06-02-2003, 07:03 PM
David J. Bockman

You may want to peruse this website:

http://www.mossacres.com/moss/default.asp

Although it looks as if this nursery just happens to be a naturally occuring
favorable area for moss, there is good information on moss propogation as
well. You can also check out George Schenk's excellent 'Moss Gardening' for
propagation techniques.

Dave

om...