Old 13-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Linda W.

Default African Violet Leaf Starting to Root? ...

Hello ...

I posted here several weeks ago, asking about rooting an African
violet leaf from a plant that had suddenly stopped doing well.

The plant continued to not do well, and so I placed a leaf in water
and have had it in water since then. The leaf is now starting to show
tiny little fiber-looking strands -- very thin and, at this point,
only a fraction of an inch in length -- very slight.

What should I do at this point? Should I leave the leaf where it is?
Will the strands get longer? How will I know whether this is a leaf
that can actually begin a new plant? How will I know when to plant
it?

Many thanks for any advice at this next stage of rooting -- at least I
hope this means it is rooting :-) ...

Linda W.
Old 13-08-2003, 11:22 PM
MacTech

I should think that after being in water for several weeks, if the
leaf isn't starting to rot by now, then it's probably a viable leaf.
I've never started African violets by putting the leaves in water,
although I have started plants by planting the leaves directly into
potting soil. I'm not an African violet expert by any means, but I do
keep a few plants. They were my mother's favorite plant — mostly
because it was the one thing she couldn't kill. You can read a story
about my mother and her African violets he

http://www.ruralroute2.com/violets.html

Good luck with your African violets!

LeAnn

author of —
Christmas In Dairyland (True Stories From a Wisconsin Farm)

Click here to sign up for Rural Route 2 updates and to read sample
chapters and other Rural Route 2 stories:

http://ruralroute2.com
Old 14-08-2003, 08:02 AM
B & J

"Linda W." wrote in message
om...
Hello ...

I posted here several weeks ago, asking about rooting an African
violet leaf from a plant that had suddenly stopped doing well.

The plant continued to not do well, and so I placed a leaf in water
and have had it in water since then. The leaf is now starting to show
tiny little fiber-looking strands -- very thin and, at this point,
only a fraction of an inch in length -- very slight.

What should I do at this point? Should I leave the leaf where it is?
Will the strands get longer? How will I know whether this is a leaf
that can actually begin a new plant? How will I know when to plant
it?

Linda W.

Allow the leaf to remain in the water until the roots on the leaf become
about a quarter inch long; plant the leaf in high humus soil, keeping the
soil moist/not wet; and place the pot in a warm, high light with no sun
area. Within a month or two, often longer (don't be impatient because it
takes time), plantlets will start coming up at the base of the leaf,
sometimes a single one but usually multiple. Allow the plantlet to grow to a
size where they can be handled and then divide and replant in individual
pots. BTW, the parent plant is now into its second phase of flowering since
I received it in May.

I started three leaves in water the middle of May and potted them in high
humus soil as soon as they showed quarter inch roots, which occurred around
the middle of June. One sent up a single plant that is now three inches
across and rapidly growing although the leaf is still attached: the second
has sent up multiple small plantlets that are still too small to handle with
the leaf still attached; and the third is still a single leaf that is just
sitting there.

This is a case of "What you see is what you get!" In most cases starting new
AV's from leaves is a winner.

John

Old 14-08-2003, 12:32 PM
Linda W.

"B & J" wrote in message ...
"Linda W." wrote in message
[...]

John ...

Thank you so much for this very helpful information.

May I ask a few questions?

First ... where should I look for the high humus soil? Would a garden
center be likely to have it in small quantities (since I only need a
small amount?)Where do you purchase yours?

Second ... I have a window that gets bright light in the afternoon,
but it is sunlight. How would I avoid the plant getting sunlight? I
don't really have a place where I could set up a plant light. Also, I
need to be budget conscious about this. Is there a way I could put it
in a window where it would get some sunlight?

Again, many thanks.

Linda W.
Old 14-08-2003, 12:32 PM
Linda W.

(MacTech) wrote in message . com...
I should think that after being in water for several weeks, if the
leaf isn't starting to rot by now, then it's probably a viable leaf.
I've never started African violets by putting the leaves in water,
although I have started plants by planting the leaves directly into
potting soil. I'm not an African violet expert by any means, but I do
keep a few plants. They were my mother's favorite plant ? mostly
because it was the one thing she couldn't kill. You can read a story
about my mother and her African violets he

http://www.ruralroute2.com/violets.html

Good luck with your African violets!

LeAnn

author of ?
Christmas In Dairyland (True Stories From a Wisconsin Farm)

Click here to sign up for Rural Route 2 updates and to read sample
chapters and other Rural Route 2 stories:

http://ruralroute2.com

LeAnn ...

Thank you for this information and for the link to your story. :-)

Linda W.

Old 14-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Phisherman

You will get a much stronger plant if you transfer the leaf to moist
vermiculite. This will provide more air to the roots and grow a
sturdier root system. In water, when you remove the rooted leaf, the
roots will cling together in one mass.
Old 14-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Linda W.

Phisherman wrote in message . ..
You will get a much stronger plant if you transfer the leaf to moist
vermiculite. This will provide more air to the roots and grow a
sturdier root system. In water, when you remove the rooted leaf, the
roots will cling together in one mass.

Thank you very much.

Vermiculite was mentioned to me when I first started to root this
leaf. I went to a local garden center but was unable to find it.

Could you tell me a little bit more about it? Is it like soil? Does
it come in a package? Small or large package?

And then, if I find it -- would it likely have instructions on the
package as to how to use it with the leaf?

Right now, the leaf only has one little sort of strand of root,
perhaps a quarter inch long, and a few tinier ones.

I would appreciate any information about vermiculite so that I might
be able to find it.

Many thanks!

Linda W.
Old 14-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Phisherman

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:21:29 GMT

On 14 Aug 2003 10:15:18 -0700,
(Linda W.) wrote:

Phisherman wrote in message . ..
You will get a much stronger plant if you transfer the leaf to moist
vermiculite. This will provide more air to the roots and grow a
sturdier root system. In water, when you remove the rooted leaf, the
roots will cling together in one mass.

Thank you very much.

Vermiculite was mentioned to me when I first started to root this
leaf. I went to a local garden center but was unable to find it.

Could you tell me a little bit more about it? Is it like soil? Does
it come in a package? Small or large package?

Vermiculite is an inert rooting medium, made from igneous rock (I
think). It is somewhat white and silver in color and one small piece
looks like an accordion. It holds water exceptionally well and is a
very good soil additive for house plants. It is generally sold in a
plastic bag. Home Depot or Lowes should have it; if not, go to a
garden center. It is expensive. You will only have to water it once
in 4-6 weeks.

And then, if I find it -- would it likely have instructions on the
package as to how to use it with the leaf?

Probably. If not, fill a paper or plastic cup (with a drainage hole)
halfway with the vermiculite. Hold the leaf over the top of the
vermiculite and fill the cup with vermiculite. You can put a sandwich
bag over the top held with a rubber band to create a little greenhouse
and place in bright light (maybe *early* morning sun only--a
north-east window is very good). Poke a vent hole in the plastic with
a sharp pencil to allow some air. Make sure the plastic does not
touch the leaf else it might rot. You will see a tiny baby start to
grow at the base in 4 to 6 weeks.

After a baby AF forms, you can pot the baby in a 2" flowerpot. (I used
to use egg cartons to grow them by the dozens.) The roots will cling
to the vermiculite. Then you can re-use the leaf to grow another
baby! I've re-used the same AF leaf up to 3 times with success.

There are dozens of ways to start AFs, but I've found this method to
be the best. I don't think I ever seen a single AF--people just like
to start several for some reason.

Old 15-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Chris Owens

"Linda W." wrote:

Hello ...

I posted here several weeks ago, asking about rooting an African
violet leaf from a plant that had suddenly stopped doing well.

The plant continued to not do well, and so I placed a leaf in water
and have had it in water since then. The leaf is now starting to show
tiny little fiber-looking strands -- very thin and, at this point,
only a fraction of an inch in length -- very slight.

What should I do at this point? Should I leave the leaf where it is?
Will the strands get longer? How will I know whether this is a leaf
that can actually begin a new plant? How will I know when to plant
it?

Many thanks for any advice at this next stage of rooting -- at least I
hope this means it is rooting :-) ...

Linda W.

Go ahead and plant the leaf in potting soil. For future
reference, one of the best ways I have found to root african
violet leaves is to take a leaf that is still attached to the
plant, and secure it in contact with the soil by pushing a couple
of old-fashioned hairpins through it. After it develops roots,
you can sever it from the plant and transplant. You can do the
same thing with a leaf that's been clipped from a plant, although
this has a lower success rate.

Chris Owens

Old 15-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Linda W.

Phisherman wrote in message . ..
On 14 Aug 2003 10:15:18 -0700, (Linda W.) wrote:

.. first part of message snipped for space ...

[...]

Thanks so much for this information.

When you say to use a plastic or paper cup -- do you mean a little one
-- like those little bathroom-size cups? Or a larger one? Would
styrofoam be okay?

I wish I'd tried to root more than one leaf from the old plant. But
hopefully this one will "work."

Thanks again ..

Linda W.

.... balance of my previous message snipped for space ...
Old 15-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Linda W.

As general follow-up ... Phisherman suggested I use the vermiculite to
continue the rooting process, and John suggesed putting the leaf in
potting soil.

So I'm wondering -- would you advise using the vermiculite first --
provided I can (a) find it and (b) afford it? :-) And then would I
transfer the baby plantlets from the vermiculite to potting soil?

Is my understanding correct that I could also transfer the rooted leaf
from water directly to potting soil?

I just want to make sure I understand the alternatives.

Again, many thanks!

Linda W.
Old 16-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Phisherman

(Linda W.) wrote:

[...]

A plastic, paper, or styrofoam cup will work well. Most important,
put a few holes in the bottom of the cup. A 4 or 6 oz cup is plenty.
I would not pot up the baby until there is plenty of roots. The roots
will cling to the vermiculite. Vermiculite is a couple bucks for a
bag of it.