GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Deadhead/cut back Hostas??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/40489-deadhead-cut-back-hostas.html)

TOM KAN PA 15-08-2003 12:13 PM

Deadhead/cut back Hostas???

After the Hosta bloom dies, should the flower stalks be cut back?

Frogleg 15-08-2003 12:42 PM

Deadhead/cut back Hostas???

On 15 Aug 2003 11:09:29 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

After the Hosta bloom dies, should the flower stalks be cut back?

I snip off the stalks for neatness. If I leave them, they evenually
dry up and can be pulled off.

BTW, while it was hard to verify this rainy summer, my Hostas predict
rain. As soon as they are in mostly full bloom, we get a real soaker
rain that bends the stalks down to the ground and makes mowing *very*
difficult. :-)

TOM KAN PA 15-08-2003 01:02 PM

Deadhead/cut back Hostas???

BTW, while it was hard to verify this rainy summer, my Hostas predict rain.
As soon as they are in mostly full bloom, we get a real soaker
____Reply Separator_____
Predict rain or cause rain?

madgardener 16-08-2003 02:02 AM

Deadhead/cut back Hostas???

yes

Chris Owens 16-08-2003 10:32 AM

Deadhead/cut back Hostas???

TOM KAN PA wrote:

After the Hosta bloom dies, should the flower stalks be cut back?

Well, I do; but mostly for looks; it won't hurt the plant if you
don't.

Chris Owens

Frogleg 16-08-2003 12:22 PM

Deadhead/cut back Hostas???

On 15 Aug 2003 11:52:39 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

BTW, while it was hard to verify this rainy summer, my Hostas predict rain.
As soon as they are in mostly full bloom, we get a real soaker
____Reply Separator_____
Predict rain or cause rain?

Good question. Hostas are very popular shade plants here. I haven't
seen them dancing, but perhaps they're all whistling up a storm at a
frequency I can't hear. :-)