GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mulch Types and Carpenter Ants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/40540-mulch-types-carpenter-ants.html)

Billy 16-08-2003 04:02 AM

Mulch Types and Carpenter Ants

We just had several yards of mulch laid up against many parts of the
foundation of our house. It's a very dark color and has a very strong odor.
My wife said it smells like horses. Do you know what type of mulch this is
called?

One Problem is, I didn't think of it but we recently had a major problem
with carpenter ants. Will this dark mulch laid up against the home attract
the ants to the house? I know mulch retains moisture, and also know that
carpenter ants love moisture, so was this mulch a mistake?

Chris Owens 17-08-2003 03:32 PM

Billy wrote:

We just had several yards of mulch laid up against many parts of the
foundation of our house. It's a very dark color and has a very strong odor.
My wife said it smells like horses. Do you know what type of mulch this is
called?

One Problem is, I didn't think of it but we recently had a major problem
with carpenter ants. Will this dark mulch laid up against the home attract
the ants to the house? I know mulch retains moisture, and also know that
carpenter ants love moisture, so was this mulch a mistake?

I don't know what type of mulch it is from your description.
Most odors in mulch dissapate in just a few days; however,
'smells like horses' may mean that the mulch has a fairly high
component of stable-muckings; if so, you're likely to have a
volunteer grass problem. Mulch isn't very good for harboring
carpenter ants, in any case; they prefer intact, moist wood. If
there is at least a six-inch gap between the top of the mulch and
the base of the siding, it shouldn't form a ingress-pathway to
the house for vermin.

Chris Owens