GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mushroom gardening (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/40648-mushroom-gardening.html)

[email protected] 17-08-2003 06:22 PM

Mushroom gardening

I have a very small garden. In addition most of it gets relatively
little sunshine due to the trees. Tomatoes are most decidedly unhappy
there and grow to 12 feet tall trying to find some light. I was
thinking about mushrooms. They usually grow in the woods. Did anyone
try it (undoubtedly some did, but is anyone of them here)? And which
kinds did you grow?

Additionally which vegetables can be grown in shade?

Frogleg 18-08-2003 02:02 PM

Mushroom gardening

On 17 Aug 2003 10:13:39 -0700,
) wrote:

I have a very small garden. In addition most of it gets relatively
little sunshine due to the trees. Tomatoes are most decidedly unhappy
there and grow to 12 feet tall trying to find some light. I was
thinking about mushrooms. They usually grow in the woods. Did anyone
try it (undoubtedly some did, but is anyone of them here)? And which
kinds did you grow?

Additionally which vegetables can be grown in shade?

Growing mushrooms on purpose is a fairly refined and specialized
field. They tend to be pretty random in the 'wild' and rather
difficult to bring into cultivation.

There are virtually (my loophole) *no* shade loving vegetables. And
very few flowering plants. Even cool-weather crops need sun. I, too,
have a shady yard, and have settled for planting things in containers
which can be placed in the few sunny spots I have, and an herb bed in
a small area that gets a fair amount of sun.