GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question - using Roundup on French broom (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/40723-question-using-roundup-french-broom.html)

Peter Werner 18-08-2003 10:02 AM

Question - using Roundup on French broom

I've been using Roundup as part of my technique for getting rid of the
French broom that's threatening to take over my hillside. I paint it
on the lower stem and often abrade the lower stem to assure
absorption. I then wait about a week for the glyphosate to do its
dirty work on the root system, then pull the whole thing up with a
weed wrench. (I'm also careful to remove any seed pods from the broom
and dispose of it plastic bags.)

My question is about the concentration to use. I used the recommended
dilution in the directions, which gave me a concentration of less than
1% glyphosate. Using that, I didn't really see much dieback in the
broom plants after a week. I notice that Roundup that's sold for
direct application has a concentration closer to 2%. Is that the
concentration I should use? Perhaps stronger?

Let me know,
Peter

Lar 18-08-2003 03:37 PM

Question - using Roundup on French broom

In article 13378f69.0308180048.2b5e7eb3
@posting.google.com, says...
:) My question is about the concentration to use. I used the recommended
:) dilution in the directions, which gave me a concentration of less than
:) 1% glyphosate. Using that, I didn't really see much dieback in the
:) broom plants after a week. I notice that Roundup that's sold for
:) direct application has a concentration closer to 2%. Is that the
:) concentration I should use? Perhaps stronger?
:)
:)
Unless the label of the concentrate allows a mixture
higher than what you are mixing, you shouldn't make it
higher. Your concentrate and the pre mixed you saw on
the shelves probably have a bit different formulation
make up, giving the different percentage rates for the
finished product even though the end results will be
expected to be the same.
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Andrew Ostrander 19-08-2003 03:12 PM

Question - using Roundup on French broom

My Round Up instruction booklet says for general use against shrubs using a
hand held sprayer, use a 2% solution. Same against perennials. 1% against
annuals.

There are specific percentages against specific species, but broom isn't
listed.

t...