Old 21-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Heidi

Default Crickets like beer and slugs seek revenge

Last week I set out a beer trap for the slugs which have been munching
down my sorrel. I was not able to trap any slugs into the beer traps,
however I caught numerous crickets each night in my beer filled yogurt
container. Frustrated, I turned to more inhumane means of ridding
myself of slugs. At the sight of two particularly large slugs on the
side of our house, I ran for the salt (not sure why I felt the need to
run, I don't think the slugs were going to run off on me). It was
cruel, but I took pleasure in tossing the salt onto the invasive and
destructive creatures. Two nights later, all my parsley has been eaten
down to the stems. My money is on the slug community. I think they are
exacting revenge.

Heidi

Old 21-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Salty Thumb

Heidi wrote in news:IC31b.6867$r15.381341
@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Last week I set out a beer trap for the slugs which have been munching
down my sorrel. I was not able to trap any slugs into the beer traps,
however I caught numerous crickets each night in my beer filled yogurt

I don't know if this is what you did, but the shallower and closer to the
ground, the better. If you used a whole container, maybe the slugs
couldn't smell the beer or decided it wasn't worth the effort.

container. Frustrated, I turned to more inhumane means of ridding
myself of slugs. At the sight of two particularly large slugs on the
side of our house, I ran for the salt (not sure why I felt the need to
run, I don't think the slugs were going to run off on me). It was

LMAO!!!!

-- Salty

Old 21-08-2003, 05:42 PM
jel

I've smashed about 15 slugs in my yard this year and salted 2. They've
chomped through too many plants this year to be shown any mercy. Baby slugs
keep getting caught in the fur on my dog's legs. It's really gross to find
them in the middle of the living room carpet. I am, however, going to
switch to beer in plastic bowls buried so that the top of the bowl is at
ground level. I'm not sure that drowning is more humane than salting, but
at least it's not pesticide.

Old 21-08-2003, 06:42 PM
dstvns

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:16:24 GMT, Heidi
wrote:

run, I don't think the slugs were going to run off on me). It was
cruel, but I took pleasure in tossing the salt onto the invasive and
destructive creatures. Two nights later, all my parsley has been eaten
down to the stems. My money is on the slug community. I think they are
exacting revenge.

Romans used to poison the wells of places from which they were
retreating. It was the ultimate act of spite; if they could not live
there then noone would. They would also salt the lands, so no other
living thing could grow there. Besides killing the ground which is
salted, the salt is almost always ineffective toward slugs because
they shed the outer coat, leaving the salt behind and move on to your
plants twice as hungry because they lost so much water.

If you'd like to kill the slugs without killing the ground around
them, try picking them up and dropping them in a can of alcohol,
vinegar or ammonia. Much less messy than trying to squash them, and
not as dangerous to the soil. Garden store items such as slug-go and
escar-go are also very effective without ruining the environment.

Dan
Old 22-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Bob

"dstvns" wrote in message

If you'd like to kill the slugs without killing the ground around
them, try picking them up and dropping them in a can of alcohol,
vinegar or ammonia. Much less messy than trying to squash them, and
not as dangerous to the soil. Garden store items such as slug-go and
escar-go are also very effective without ruining the environment.

I just pick up a twig and impale them to the ground.

Bob

Old 22-08-2003, 06:02 AM
jel

Salt poured on a slug point-black will work. Salt poured around plants
won't. However, copper borders will. something in their slime reacts with
the copper and gives them a shock they don't like.

Old 22-08-2003, 06:03 AM
BLueCoBra

snip
Is this actually true? I see little dried-up crispy things left after I

go on
a slug-salting foray (which I haven't done in years). Those nasty

critters
must have secret slug rehydration teams that come around when we're not
looking.....

Yeah, they're like little ghost busters. They come flying around in their
Hydratormobile, get out and zap the salted fiends with their gatorade
blasters hooked up to their backs until the victim's natural ectoplasm is
restored to a like new sparkly sheen........

Old 22-08-2003, 07:02 AM
J. Lane

Oh! You BIG meanies. Don't you know slugs have rights too? Now your all
doomed to hell.. or have bad kharma... or something.
Jest joking!
--
Jayel

Old 22-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

From: "BLueCoBra"
Date: Fri, Aug 22, 2003 12:01 AM

snip
Is this actually true? I see little dried-up crispy things left after

go on
a slug-salting foray (which I haven't done in years). Those nasty

critters
must have secret slug rehydration teams that come around when we're not
looking.....

Yeah, they're like little ghost busters. They come flying around in their
Hydratormobile, get out and zap the salted fiends with their gatorade
blasters hooked up to their backs until the victim's natural ectoplasm is
restored to a like new sparkly sheen........

Ick-ZACT-ly what I was picturing.

Best,
Tyra
Old 22-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Lar

In article j6p1b.808499$3C2.18370989
@news3.calgary.shaw.ca, says...
This sounds like table salt is just about as evil a RoundUp!!!

A bit more toxic than roundup...but ya can't have the
fries without it.
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!