Old 23-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Leslie

Default Can someone tell me what this weed is?

This weed grows low to the ground and creeps out from the center. The roots
are fairly short, about 1 1/2-2 inches deep. There are double small leaves
about 1/4 inch then a lot of smaller double leaves with tiny seeds growing
at their base. It seems rather invasive but doesn't move into the grass. I
have it growing on the outskirts of my yard and now it's also growing around
my veggie garden. I'm in Eastern WA, zone 5, if that helps. Thanks. Oh,
almost forgot, here's a picture of it:
http://ajgraphics.netfirms.com/unidweed.html

Leslie

Old 23-08-2003, 07:32 AM
Jan Flora

In article , "Leslie"
wrote:

This weed grows low to the ground and creeps out from the center. The roots
are fairly short, about 1 1/2-2 inches deep. There are double small leaves
about 1/4 inch then a lot of smaller double leaves with tiny seeds growing
at their base. It seems rather invasive but doesn't move into the grass. I
have it growing on the outskirts of my yard and now it's also growing around
my veggie garden. I'm in Eastern WA, zone 5, if that helps. Thanks. Oh,
almost forgot, here's a picture of it:
http://ajgraphics.netfirms.com/unidweed.html

Leslie

Your photo is a little out of focus. Is the weed really succulent? It sure looks
like chickweed to me.

If so, it's edible. (Alt.folklore.herbs folks can tell you about eating it
and using
it in medicinal applications. It's the scourge of gardeners the world over.)

Jan in Alaska
Zone 3 (with chickweed in my garden)
Old 23-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Leslie

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
In article , "Leslie"
wrote:

This weed grows low to the ground and creeps out from the center. The

roots
are fairly short, about 1 1/2-2 inches deep. There are double small

leaves
about 1/4 inch then a lot of smaller double leaves with tiny seeds

growing
at their base. It seems rather invasive but doesn't move into the grass.

have it growing on the outskirts of my yard and now it's also growing

around
my veggie garden. I'm in Eastern WA, zone 5, if that helps. Thanks. Oh,
almost forgot, here's a picture of it:
http://ajgraphics.netfirms.com/unidweed.html

Leslie

Your photo is a little out of focus. Is the weed really succulent? It sure

looks
like chickweed to me.

Sorry about the phocus, I'm a lousy photographer. ;-) Yes it is succulent.
I'll look for chickweed and see if it matches. Thanks Jan!

Leslie

Old 23-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

What is your definition of succulent?

Fleshy does not necessarily mean succulent.

It looks like a chickweed to me too. Definitely not a Sedum or Crassula
(Tillaea).

A picture of the plant in flower would be much more helpful.

BTW, how fast was plant going?
Did you take the picture from a moving car?

Leslie wrote in message

Old 23-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Leslie

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
m...
What is your definition of succulent?

Fleshy does not necessarily mean succulent.

It looks like a chickweed to me too. Definitely not a Sedum or Crassula
(Tillaea).

A picture of the plant in flower would be much more helpful.

I looked up pictures of the various chickweeds and I'm pretty sure it's a
common chickweed. Now, do I go the route of the general gardener and get rid
of the things, or do I go the route of the herbalists? Hmmm...More things to
contemplate on this Saturday.

BTW, how fast was plant going?
Did you take the picture from a moving car?

Hehe :-) I tend to get out of focus pictures whenever the flash isn't used.
I have no idea why that happens. Maybe a trip to a digital photo NG is in
order.

Leslie

Leslie wrote in message

Old 24-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Jan Flora

In article ,
"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote:

What is your definition of succulent?

That was the best word I could come up with for a plant that's just
so full of water that your hands get wet when you pull it up, and it
stains the knees on your jeans like crazy with the juice.

Fleshy does not necessarily mean succulent.

Right. I didn't mean fleshy. I don't have a thesaurus handy for a better
word.

It looks like a chickweed to me too. Definitely not a Sedum or Crassula
(Tillaea).

A picture of the plant in flower would be much more helpful.

BTW, how fast was plant going?
Did you take the picture from a moving car?

You're a wiseass, Ceroid. You're funny, but still a wiseass.

Jan

Leslie wrote in message

Old 25-08-2003, 04:22 AM
dkat

I love chickweed! Anytime I'm having trouble with a respiratory illness I
chew on a bunch of it and my breathing vastly improves. DK