GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   whitish sunken areas on tomatoes? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/41189-whitish-sunken-areas-tomatoes.html)

DigitalVinyl 23-08-2003 03:32 PM

whitish sunken areas on tomatoes?

http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl6...-blemishes.jpg
(the circular ring on the left is where I started cuttting it off)

I just harvested a large group of tomatoes this morning. I had to
chuck five out; 2 BER, 3 with holes into the pulp with bugs.

I've found 4 or 5 now with these pale sunken areas. I was thinking
this is where they are pressed up against eachother or maybe another
branch? Once I cut the blemish off they tasted fine.

I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I don't know how this
compares with what is normal production. I've been keeping counts so I
have a real world idea of what I produced for comparison next year.
I've got only one plant of each type:
34 - 4th of July tomato (5 bad)
21 - Healthy Kick Plum tomato (4 bad)
1 - Burpee Burger tomato
2 - Anaheim pepper
12 - Cayenne pepper
9 - Jalapeno pepper

The 4th & HK probably have 2-3 dozen each still hanging, plus a few
flowers. The Burger tomatoes have another 8-9 just days aways from
being ripe. I threw Anaheim seeds in the ground in late May... no
transplants. As I expected, I'll probably get less than half-dozen
peppers out of that one. The other peppers looks like they'll produce
6-18 more.

I've got 20-30 Bell peppers hanging on four plants. I'm leaving them
to turn red. I lost one to a blemish that rotted open. On one plant
there are so many that they are bunched up against eachother. Don't
know if that is good or not.

Next year I may skip the cayenne and plant a mild jalapeno, ancho or
poblano. Definitely not enough jalapenos. And I want to find an early
bell pepper to have sooner in the season.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener