Old 24-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Boris Zakharin

Default Planting asters?

We have gotten a bouquet of what look like asters recently and I was
surprised to see roots and new foliage growth after awhile in the vase. The
question is, would it be practical to plant them at this time of year? If
so, where should I plant them? We live in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks in advance,
Boris Zakharin

Old 24-08-2003, 08:32 AM
Jan Flora

In article , "Boris Zakharin"
wrote:

We have gotten a bouquet of what look like asters recently and I was
surprised to see roots and new foliage growth after awhile in the vase. The
question is, would it be practical to plant them at this time of year? If
so, where should I plant them? We live in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks in advance,
Boris Zakharin

Plant them in full sun. You don't have anything to lose by trying. Asters
are pretty and easy to grow. IIRC, I used to cut my way down in late fall
(in California, the land of boring weather), and they'd come back like crazy
in the spring.

Jan
Old 24-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Pam

Boris Zakharin wrote:

We have gotten a bouquet of what look like asters recently and I was
surprised to see roots and new foliage growth after awhile in the vase. The
question is, would it be practical to plant them at this time of year? If
so, where should I plant them? We live in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks in advance,
Boris Zakharin

Depends on whether your bouquet was comprised of true perennial asters or
annual asters, Callistephus, which are typically much more common as cut
flowers. Perennial ones are typically offered for sale at this time of year and
now is a fine time to plant. OTOH, planting annual asters now is not going to
achieve much - they will be toast after the first frost.

pam - gardengal

Old 25-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Boris Zakharin

Thanks. I guess I'll find out soon enough and it couldn't hurt, could it?

"Pam" wrote in message

Boris Zakharin wrote:

We have gotten a bouquet of what look like asters recently and I was
surprised to see roots and new foliage growth after awhile in the vase.

The
question is, would it be practical to plant them at this time of year?

If
so, where should I plant them? We live in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks in advance,
Boris Zakharin

Depends on whether your bouquet was comprised of true perennial asters or
annual asters, Callistephus, which are typically much more common as cut
flowers. Perennial ones are typically offered for sale at this time of

year and
now is a fine time to plant. OTOH, planting annual asters now is not going

achieve much - they will be toast after the first frost.

pam - gardengal

[IMG] code is On

Bees: - Asters-Bee.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 1 25-03-2009 03:54 PM
Wild Asters with Bee - Asters-Bee-001.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 1 24-12-2008 01:25 PM
Hardy Asters Ralph D. Gardening 2 13-03-2006 04:55 PM
Of encoring irises and asters and UPS drivers Madgardener Gardening 11 21-09-2003 01:32 AM
of asters and composite mums, buddelia's and hummingbirds in salvia Madgardener Gardening 0 31-08-2003 12:22 AM