Old 24-08-2003, 11:02 PM
kyrustic

Default Are "Mosquito Dunks" Safe?

Mosquito Dunks, do they work for rain barrels?
We sell whole white oak whiskey barrels, they have many uses. One of the
uses is as rain barrels for gardens. I have been asked if a product know as
"Mosquito Dunks" would be safe used in water for the garden?
Has anyone used them, and are they safe?

Kentucky Rustic Bourbon Whiskey Barrels
http://www.moffetts.biz/wholebarrels.html

--
Kentucky Rustic Furniture
http://www.moffetts.biz

---

Old 24-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Heidi

We have been using them in our rain barrel (one quarter of a dunk per
barrel) and have seen a reduction in mosquitos around the rain barrel.
The product info. states that it is safe for birds, pets, and wildlife.
I don't feed our dog water from the rainbarrel, but I do feel safe using
the rain barrel water to water the plants in our yard where our dogs play.

Heidi

Old 25-08-2003, 01:12 AM
kyrustic

Thanks for the info. I'll tell them it's safe to use the water on their
veggie gardens.

--
Kentucky Rustic Furniture
http://www.moffetts.biz
om...

Old 25-08-2003, 01:32 AM
madgardener

they use Bacillius Thurengi or Bt, which is a natural insect organism. It's
safe, we're not insects, but it disrupts their intestinal systems and they
die and the Bt is still released in the soil or water to be ingested again.
The dunks work for about 30 days and there are enough on a card to treat six
times.

Old 25-08-2003, 05:32 AM
dkat

The worry is that not only do they kill mosquitoes but that they kill other
things as well (bees for example). I put mosquito fish (rosie reds) in my
small water gardens (barrel size). This year I put in 2 guppies which I
will now have to bring in for the winter since they are tropical.... Anyone
want some guppies (now 3)?

Old 25-08-2003, 02:42 PM
animaux

Mosquito dunks kill nothing but mosquito larvae.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 03:28:23 GMT, "dkat" opined:

Old 25-08-2003, 03:02 PM

regular Bt will kill any caterpillar. Bt israeli will only kill mosquito and midge
larvae. Ingrid

"dkat" wrote:
The worry is that not only do they kill mosquitoes but that they kill other
things as well (bees for example). I put mosquito fish (rosie reds) in my
small water gardens (barrel size). This year I put in 2 guppies which I
will now have to bring in for the winter since they are tropical.... Anyone
want some guppies (now 3)?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 25-08-2003, 10:02 PM
D Kat

I read a while back that there was concern about its toxicity to bees....
From what I can find now there is only one species of bees that it is highly
toxic to. Others may suffer a shorter lifespan but not one that anyone
seems concerned about. It certainly seems the case that the cost/benefit
ratio is on the side of using it. I still like guppies better though... DK

http://ace.ace.orst.edu/info/npic/factsheets/BTgen.pdf

"dkat" wrote:
The worry is that not only do they kill mosquitoes but that they kill

other
things as well (bees for example). I put mosquito fish (rosie reds) in

my
small water gardens (barrel size). This year I put in 2 guppies which I
will now have to bring in for the winter since they are tropical....

Anyone
want some guppies (now 3)?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 25-08-2003, 10:32 PM
animaux

The article said Bt sub-species. Not likely talking about Bt-i.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:52:15 -0400, "D Kat" opined:

I read a while back that there was concern about its toxicity to bees....
From what I can find now there is only one species of bees that it is highly

"dkat" wrote:
The worry is that not only do they kill mosquitoes but that they kill

other
things as well (bees for example). I put mosquito fish (rosie reds) in

my
small water gardens (barrel size). This year I put in 2 guppies which I
will now have to bring in for the winter since they are tropical....

Anyone
want some guppies (now 3)?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 26-08-2003, 03:02 AM
dkat

I don't really know. As I said, it was something I read some previous
summer about the dunks and it convinced me not to use them. However I can
really find nothing useful about it now in the time I think it is worth
investing. I don't know if the story has disappeared because the original
story that I'm referring to did not make the distinction between the
different bacteria strains, if it was based on an in process study that
didn't pan out, if it has just been swept under the rug because everyone is
far more concerned about the diseases passed by mosquitoes than they are to
what may be only a minor impact on the environment, or what (however I am
noticing that being an environmentalist is about to take the same four
letter word status as liberal how holds).

The one thing that I do know is that I am happy that it motivated me to get
rosie reds and this year guppies. They are far more entertaining than a
floating chunk of dunk. I'm not saying what people should or should not
do.... I'm simply musing on line... I'm currently having my a$$ chewed off
in rec.ponds for similar musings so I'm getting a bit nervous about doing it
at all. DK

"animaux" wrote in message
The article said Bt sub-species. Not likely talking about Bt-i.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:52:15 -0400, "D Kat"

opined:

I read a while back that there was concern about its toxicity to bees....
From what I can find now there is only one species of bees that it is

highly

"dkat" wrote:
The worry is that not only do they kill mosquitoes but that they kill

other
things as well (bees for example). I put mosquito fish (rosie reds)

in
my
small water gardens (barrel size). This year I put in 2 guppies which

will now have to bring in for the winter since they are tropical....

Anyone
want some guppies (now 3)?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 26-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Beecrofter

On the bulk packages it says to keep the stuff out of wounds, not to
eat it or get into eyes.
I have three garden ponds within a shovels throw from 6 hives of
honeybees.
I have used dunks in the ponds and the bees drink from them with no
sign of a problem.
You will have no problems with using them in rain barrels.
Old 27-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Salty Thumb

"dkat" wrote in
.net:

[...]

Keep in mind, that the mosquito larvae actually have to ingest the
bacteria to be affected. I stuck a dunk in a 5 gallon bucket of water
and after 2 days, most of the larvae are dead, but there as still a few
hanging around. The dunk in question is over a year old and has been
through the mail.

If you've got a rain barrel and it's not raining, it might be better and
cheaper just to introduce a thin layer of oil to the surface of the water
.... kill rate for me was 100% in under a day. Of course, don't use any
oil that you wouldn't eat anyway. For gutters and out of the way
places, the dunks are a better idea.

- Salty

[IMG] code is On

Q on Mosquito Fogger thingies...& dunks LeeAnne Gardening 14 21-06-2004 04:02 AM
mosquito dunks safe? Lydia Ponds 1 22-04-2004 04:05 PM
How Safe Are "Mosquito Dunks" kyrustic Lawns 0 24-08-2003 11:02 PM
mosquito dunks--cheapest place to buy on web Heidi Gardening 4 23-08-2003 06:32 AM
mosquito dunks-local home improv. shops Heidi North Carolina 2 21-08-2003 10:02 PM