GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/41374-how-properly-deadhead-tall-bearded-iris-daylilies.html)

Pelvis Popcan 26-08-2003 12:32 AM

How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies

Figured I'd include both flowers instead of making two separate
threads. I'm a second year gardener, so I've got newbie questions...

I planted Iris in my zone 5 bedding from Schreiner's during the first
week of July. It's reblooming Iris, and the purple ones have actually
sent up bloom stalks and bloomed, not two months after they were
planted (!!)

I'm new to Iris. I can see they send up stalks separate from the
leaves. I'm assuming that after the blooms have faded, the whole stalk
should be cut off down to the base, to get it out of sight.

Am I correct? Please tell me if I'm wrong!!

Now to the daylilies... they also send up stems with their blooms
separate from the leaves. Should I also be doing the same with the
daylilies in cutting the whole stem off after the blooms have fallen
off? I noticed that after the blooms fall off, many of the stems have
a green fleshy pod on the ends that kind of looks like a small pickle.
It's hard. Here's a pic of one:

http://peea.fateback.com/daylily/

Are those seed pods? It's not going to harm the plant to cut off the
stems with those pods, is it?

fran 26-08-2003 02:02 AM

How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:27:18 -0400, Pelvis Popcan
wrote:

I'm new to Iris. I can see they send up stalks separate from the
leaves. I'm assuming that after the blooms have faded, the whole stalk
should be cut off down to the base, to get it out of sight.

Am I correct? Please tell me if I'm wrong!!

That's right, cut them down. And in when the leaves die back in the
fall, I leave them on the plant until spring to protect the rhizomes
(roots). I remove the old leaves when the new ones start coming up.
This goes for the daylilies, too.

Now to the daylilies... they also send up stems with their blooms
separate from the leaves. Should I also be doing the same with the
daylilies in cutting the whole stem off after the blooms have fallen
off? I noticed that after the blooms fall off, many of the stems have
a green fleshy pod on the ends that kind of looks like a small pickle.
It's hard. Here's a pic of one:

Are those seed pods?

YES
It's not going to harm the plant to cut off the
stems with those pods, is it?

NO, you'll be letting the plant store the energy for next year that
would otherwise go to growing seeds.

Pelvis Popcan 26-08-2003 05:02 AM

How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies

fran wrote:

Are those seed pods?

YES
It's not going to harm the plant to cut off the
stems with those pods, is it?

NO, you'll be letting the plant store the energy for next year that
would otherwise go to growing seeds.

Thanks a lot! I don't have the time to try it, but just out of
curiosity, does anyone know how to plant those pods?

Starlord 26-08-2003 05:02 AM

How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies

If he lives in an area where the Iris Boarer lives, then he can NOT leave the
dead fans as that is where the moth lays its eggs and it's an invite for trouble
the next spring. Even out here in the Mojave Desert I clean away the dead stuff
and send it to my compost pile.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

wrote:

[...]

---

K. Reynolds 26-08-2003 06:02 AM

"Starlord" wrote:

If he lives in an area where the Iris Boarer lives, then he can NOT leave the
dead fans as that is where the moth lays its eggs and it's an invite for trouble
the next spring. Even out here in the Mojave Desert I clean away the dead stuff
and send it to my compost pile.

Yes, I do live where iris borers are (Michigan). I'll just check them
daily and clip off dead leaves as they die. As long as there are green
leaves, the plant is absorbing sun. Sound good?

Frogleg 26-08-2003 12:02 PM

How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 23:53:36 -0400, Pelvis Popcan
wrote:

fran wrote:

Are those seed pods?

YES
It's not going to harm the plant to cut off the
stems with those pods, is it?

NO, you'll be letting the plant store the energy for next year that
would otherwise go to growing seeds.

Thanks a lot! I don't have the time to try it, but just out of
curiosity, does anyone know how to plant those pods?

You leave the pods on the plant until they become dry and start to
split. The seeds are inside the pod. I forget whether I looked up

daylily germination

for details or just figured the 'natural' way would be to plant the
seeds immediately, but I planted some and started new little plants.
It's been several years now, and this summer a very pretty double
flower bloomed for the first time. .

Starlord 26-08-2003 06:02 PM

How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies

Yep, your in their area and any kind of dead leaves and such around is an open
invite for them. As long as the roots have grown downward, there's no need to
cover the rhizome, in fast it doesn't like to be covered much at all. I go
around and clip off and dead tips of my fans and haul it away, as the green part
is still making food and feeding the iris which is making next years bloom and
any new toes too.

Starlord 26-08-2003 06:02 PM

How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies

You don't just " Plant " the whole seed pod, you let the pod dry out and then
wait until next spring and then you soak the seeds for awhile and then plant and
it can take up to two years before you get anything if they grow at all and
they'll not be the same as the iris they came from.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning
lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go
again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"Pelvis Popcan" wrote in message
fran wrote:

Are those seed pods?

YES

Frogleg 26-08-2003 06:12 PM

How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:43:59 -0700, "Starlord"
wrote:

You don't just " Plant " the whole seed pod, you let the pod dry out and then
wait until next spring and then you soak the seeds for awhile and then plant and
it can take up to two years before you get anything if they grow at all and
they'll not be the same as the iris they came from.

I believe the OP was asking about seed pods on daylilies. But of
course the process of cross-polination may make both processes ones of
uncertain outcome. I was quite pleased by my daylily, which may have
been an exact copy or a variant -- I have several different sorts.

Joan 27-08-2003 05:15 AM

How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies

I believe the OP was asking about seed pods on daylilies. But of
course the process of cross-polination may make both processes ones of
uncertain outcome. I was quite pleased by my daylily, which may have
been an exact copy or a variant -- I have several different sorts. [/b][/quote]

I am new to the forum, but have been hybridising daylilies for many years in Australia. The seedpod in the photo looked to be near ready. As soon as the pod starts to split I bring in inside in an egg carton and allow the pod to dry for 24 hours, then I take the seeds out and allow them to dry for a further 24 hours. I label a small snaplock bag with the parents' names and put the seeds into it, and place the seeds in the fridge (not the freezer!!) till I am ready to plant them. On removing them from the fridge, I add a little sphagnum moss to the bag and leave it at room temperature. Before long tiny white shoots appear. The seeds are then planted in pots where they are kept damp, and green leaves usually appear within a few days. When double sets of leaves grow the plants can be put into the garden. In our climate most bloom in 9 -12 months. I have never seen a seedling that was exactly like the parent.

paghat 27-08-2003 04:22 PM

How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies

In article m, Joan
wrote:

[...]
Lily lady.

Howdy Lily Lady:

With your particular expertise, perhaps you have some general rules for
reviving a tired worn out day lily. A neglected clump inherited with the
property had long stopped blooming. I dug up a big fragment of it,
divided that, put bits of it in better locations. Last year the new clumps
were leaves only. This year they bloomed tepidly. What was left of the old
original clump still does not bloom, though I filled in around it with
good soil where I had removing some of it from the edges to divide.

I've other lilies that are not very old & never went through a long period
of neglect, & they bloom splendidly. Should I just give up on the old one,
or are there any tricks that might revive bloom vitality?

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Chris Owens 04-09-2003 12:02 AM

Pelvis Popcan wrote:

Figured I'd include both flowers instead of making two separate
threads. I'm a second year gardener, so I've got newbie questions...

I planted Iris in my zone 5 bedding from Schreiner's during the first
week of July. It's reblooming Iris, and the purple ones have actually
sent up bloom stalks and bloomed, not two months after they were
planted (!!)

I'm new to Iris. I can see they send up stalks separate from the
leaves. I'm assuming that after the blooms have faded, the whole stalk
should be cut off down to the base, to get it out of sight.

Am I correct? Please tell me if I'm wrong!!

You can deadhead; but, you don't have to do so. If you do, just
cut the bloom stalk off where it emerges from the leaves.

Now to the daylilies... they also send up stems with their blooms
separate from the leaves. Should I also be doing the same with the
daylilies in cutting the whole stem off after the blooms have fallen
off? I noticed that after the blooms fall off, many of the stems have
a green fleshy pod on the ends that kind of looks like a small pickle.
It's hard. Here's a pic of one:

That's a seed pod. You can cut them off, or leave them on, as
you choose. If you've got a mixed bed of daylilies, the seed
might have some interesting crosses in it. It's a good, cheap
way to expand a daylily bed . . . just scatter the seed where you
want the new plants. Most of it won't grow, but enough will.

Chris Owens