Old 27-08-2003, 12:13 AM
Duke Blue

Default need Hawaii garden visit advice (Kauai, Oahu)

Can anyone advise me of best garden to visit on (a) Kauai and (b) Hawaii? I
am much more interested in the plants than the fixtures. I'd rather see more
unusual tropical specimens than a bunch of nice sculptures, fountains, etc.,
although I understand that's not a mutually exclusive proposition.

(a) On Kauai, there's the McBryde ($15, self-guided) and Allerton Gardens
($30, docent guided), although both are listed as parts of the NTBG. I'm
thinking the McBryde is a better choice since there is not a mandatory,
structured "guided tour". That being said, I don't want to miss out. Can
anyone advise based on their experience? The NTBG web site provides very
little in the way of pictures or representation of what is actually in the
gardens.

(b) I am especially looking for Plumeria specimens. What is the best place
in Oahu?

Thanks,

Duke Blue

Old 27-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Tracey

Can anyone advise me of best garden to visit on
(a) Kauai and (b) Hawaii?

Can't give you any advice on gardens but when I
make it to Kauai within the next year or so, I'm
going to be checking out the protea farms. They
should be easy to find.

As far as plumeria on Oahu, hmmmm.........There's
a garden very close to Waikiki very close to the
zoo but I can't think of the name of it. Also,
check out Senator Fong's gardens on the windward
side of the island.

Tracey

Old 27-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Thalocean2

Can anyone advise me of best garden to visit on (a) Kauai and (b) Hawaii?

I'm not real clear if you're planning to visit the big island or not. If you
do, the World Botanical Gardens is exactly what you described. Beautiful. If
you manage to visit let me know how it's progressing.

Have a good trip,
Laura B.