Old 29-08-2003, 04:42 AM
Toonartist

Default Need help growing Concord grapes

I can't seem to find a good online source about growing concord grapes.

I live in southern NH near the coast.

What I'd like to know is:
1) How much do I prune and when?
2) How should I amend the soil to maximize fruit production? (In my second
year, I only got two small bunches of grapes)
3) How big of a trellis should I build? (right now I have it growing on two
6 ft fence posts with wire fence between them)

Any help here or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
-Kevin
--
Don't forget to check out my cartoon, Virtual Humor!
http://www.kevinduffy.net/vh.htm

Old 29-08-2003, 05:02 AM
FDR

This should tell you what you need to know:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...171052& itm=1

Old 29-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Milt

Here is a link I found at google.com on growing concord grapes.
Do a search at google.com and you will find tons of info...
http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
There is a good book on growing grapes and making wine by Jeff Cox called
From Vines to Wines. I found our library has an online ebook version which
is really helpful. It should be in the permanent collection too.
Also check with your County Extension office they ought to have a booklet on
grape growing.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:02 AM
Chris Owens

Toonartist wrote:

I can't seem to find a good online source about growing concord grapes.

I live in southern NH near the coast.

What I'd like to know is:
1) How much do I prune and when?
2) How should I amend the soil to maximize fruit production? (In my second
year, I only got two small bunches of grapes)
3) How big of a trellis should I build? (right now I have it growing on two
6 ft fence posts with wire fence between them)

Any help here or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
-Kevin

Grape vines can take several years to get established. You
shouldn't expect good crops until they are 3-5 years old; really
prime production will occur when they are ~10 years old. Concord
vines will reach 30' if you let them; so pick a trellis height
that's convenient for you. I prune each of my vines back to two
main leaders every year. This yields about 12 bunches of grapes
per vine. Pruning is done in the fall after the vines have lost
their leaves. I side-dress with compost every year in early
spring, midsummer, and in fall.

Chris Owens

[IMG] code is On

Need help growing Concord grapes Toonartist Edible Gardening 4 04-09-2003 06:32 PM
Concord Grapes Gardening 0 11-04-2003 12:20 PM
Concord Grapes Warren Gardening 0 04-04-2003 07:08 PM