Old 06-02-2003, 05:22 PM
J Kolenovsky

Default New - amend clay/gumbo soils? (Houston, particularly)

Just read about it briefly. "Expanded shale" for clay/gumbo soils only.
Has anyone tried this or heard of it?
-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html
Old 06-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Iris Cohen

I thought you need okra for gumbo. I always put it in mine.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 07-02-2003, 02:19 PM
J Kolenovsky

Here is more information on expanded shale:

EARTH-KIND PROJECT NETS SURPRISE SOLUTION FOR HOUSTON'S GUMBO SOILS! =

Caldwell Pink, an antique rose, was one of the winners in a new Texas =

program called EarthKind Roses, instituted by Texas A&M to identify the =

toughest landscape roses for Southern climates that would perform
without =

chemicals and with very little maintenance. Other winners were Livin' =

Easy, The Fairy, Sea Foam, Pearle, Marie Daly and Belinda's Dream. =

=

During these trials, a wide variety of roses were tortured beyond belief
and =

the winners were awarded the EarthKind title. Learn about their =

experimentation conditions (worse than even lazy gardeners inflict!) at =

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkindrose or by requesting a free =

EarthKind packet from: Dr. Steve George, Texas A&M Research and
Extension =

Center,17360 Coit Road, Dallas, TX 75252
=

The EarthKind Rose experiments also resulted in what looks like a great
new =

product for Houston gardeners and others who have to cope with gumbo
soil: =

expanded shale. Steve is extremely high on this naturally occurring
mineral =

rock dug up around Dallas and heated until it becomes porous inside. =

Remember how they used to tell us to work gypsum into the soil? Most
experts =

now agree that was not a very effective additive. But this one seems to =

really do the job. It is just starting to be marketed and is only
carried by =

a few large Houston nurseries (specifically Cornelius) at this time. =

But any =

nursery can order some from you as it distributed by Nitro-Phos, a local =

company. You will also get information on expanded shale in the
EarthKind =

Rose packet mentioned above. =

This is only for gumbo or clay soils; it is not a benefit to sandy soils =

which are already porous enough. -- BBS.

=

Old 07-02-2003, 02:44 PM

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 11:22:52 -0600, J Kolenovsky
wrote:

Just read about it briefly. "Expanded shale" for clay/gumbo soils only.
Has anyone tried this or heard of it?
-- =

Living in Houston myself, where, due to yesterday's rain, my backyard
will look like a muddy lake bed for another week or 10 days, I'd be
most interested in finding some way to penetrate that clay soil back
there. It's quite a problem for me which seems to be getting worse in
spite of the soil ammendments I've tried.

Reply Address Purposly Altered to eliminate SPAM
Reply by Post Only Please
Old 07-02-2003, 03:10 PM
J Kolenovsky

I had a natural low wet spot and it made a great bog garden. Canadian
sphagnum peat wicks moisture downward when it gets saturated. =

I have some pics at: http://www.celestialhabitats.com and
http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden

=

Old 07-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Lar

In article , garden@hal-
pc.org says...
Just read about it briefly. "Expanded shale" for clay/gumbo soils only.
Has anyone tried this or heard of it?

I was at a seminar a few weeks ago and a speaker from
Texas A&M mentioned it having success, so maybe a
search on the A&M site might turn up some info.
--
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old 08-02-2003, 02:03 AM
J Kolenovsky

Southerm Heirloom Gardens with Dr. William C. Welch and a tour Tuesday
afternoon. That North Gate was really vertical. The Veterans Memorial
was somber and the house with the outcropping was cool. That was
a good seminar. I plan to go to more.

Lar wrote:
=

In article , garden@hal-
pc.org says...

Old 13-02-2003, 03:55 AM

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 08:19:41 -0600, J Kolenovsky
wrote:

Here is more information on expanded shale:

snip

Remember how they used to tell us to work gypsum into the soil? Most
experts now agree that was not a very effective additive. But this one
seems to really do the job. It is just starting to be marketed and is only
carried by a few large Houston nurseries (specifically Cornelius) at this
time.

Just thought I'd post an update. Been to Cornelius (FM1960) twice in
the past week and not only don't they carry expanded shale, they were
hard pressed to explain what it was. When I suggested it might be used
to ammend clay soil, one attendent recommended gypsum.

But I'll keep looking. :-)