Old 23-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Hope Munro Smith

Default relocating to California

Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to California from Texas, and we are
getting contradictory information about whether or which plants we can take
with us. My understanding is that you can take houseplants that have not
spent time outdoors or at least don't have any critters like fire ants in
them. Does anyone have experience with the border check point and what the
procedure is? I don't want to bring a bunch of plants and then have them
thrown out at the border, I'd rather give them away. Thanks for your help!

until soon, Hope
Old 23-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Hope Munro Smith wrote:

My husband and I are relocating to California from Texas, and we are
getting contradictory information about whether or which plants we can take
with us.

Hope, the California Dept. of Food and Agriculture has a web site
about their Pest Exclusion Branch. I see links from their home page
to specific pages about bringing house plants into California and
about the fire ant problem.

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pe/

Patty
Old 23-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Hope Munro Smith

(Frankhartx) wrote in
:

From: Hope Munro Smith

Newsgroups: rec.gardens

Does anyone have experience with the border check point and what the
procedure is? I don't want to bring a bunch of plants and then have
them thrown out at the border, I'd rather give them away. Thanks for

Border check point? Is California now another country? If it has
border check points then it ought to be..

They do indeed have check points:

BORDER STATION INSPECTIONS

Vidal Border StationAgricultural inspections on all private and
commercial vehicles are conducted at sixteen border inspection stations
located on major highways throughout the State (six at the Oregon border,
five at the Nevada border, and five at the Arizona/Mexico border).

More than 33.5 million vehicles were monitored at the California border
agricultural inspection stations in the 2000 calendar year, including
24.5 million automobiles, 6.5 million commercial trucks, more than 706
thousand recreational vehicles, and more than 40 thousand commercial
buses. These figures represent an eight percent increase from the
previous year.

There were over 70 thousand lots of prohibited plant material intercepted
at the border inspection stations. These lots were infested with plant
pests and/or were not properly certified for entry into California. More
than 5 thousand samples of suspected pests were submitted by border
station staff to the Department's Plant Pest Diagnostics Branch for
identification during the year.

Serious pest finds in the Year 2000 included gypsy moth, imported fire
ant, boll weevil, Mexican fruit fly, zebra mussel, pecan weevil, Japanese
beetle, Oriental fruit fly, Mexican fruit fly, European corn borer,
burrowing nematode, musk thistle and diffuse knapweed.
Old 23-07-2003, 11:22 PM
John T. Jarrett

I have driven to LA a couple of times.

I can guaran-d__n-tee you, on I-10, they have STOP Signs at the border
to California! Permanent signs...looks like toll booths....but they
don't want your money...just your plants...Stop signs on the highway!

We stopped, the fella asked if we had any fruits or vegetables, we
looked at him funny and said, 'No!?!?!?'

He said, 'Ok' and we drove on.

About as weird as getting stopped at a border guard temporary
check-point this side of El Paso coming home and being asked if
everyone in the car was from the US!

Anyway, they will definately ask and they will definately throw them
on a pile of potted plants on the side of the road.

That said, I've never taken plants in so I wouldn't know how to get
them past the border. Maybe a phytosanitation certificate from a local
grower?

John

"Hope Munro Smith" wrote in message
. 83...
(Frankhartx) wrote in
:

Old 23-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Hope Munro Smith

"John T. Jarrett" wrote in
:

I have driven to LA a couple of times.

I can guaran-d__n-tee you, on I-10, they have STOP Signs at the border
to California! Permanent signs...looks like toll booths....but they
don't want your money...just your plants...Stop signs on the highway!

We stopped, the fella asked if we had any fruits or vegetables, we
looked at him funny and said, 'No!?!?!?'

He said, 'Ok' and we drove on.

About as weird as getting stopped at a border guard temporary
check-point this side of El Paso coming home and being asked if
everyone in the car was from the US!

Anyway, they will definately ask and they will definately throw them
on a pile of potted plants on the side of the road.

DEFINITELY?! The web site says if they have no pests they can go through.
Maybe I should just put them inside the trunk before the border crossing
and lie to the agent?!

That said, I've never taken plants in so I wouldn't know how to get
them past the border. Maybe a phytosanitation certificate from a local
grower?

John

I'm going to post to my local gardening group too and find out...
Old 24-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Figmo

I'm going to post to my local gardening group too and find out...

Yeah, that's wise. Don't trust the California Dept of Agriculture website,
but see what your buddies in Texas know about California agriculture laws.

Do us a favor and stay in Texas, dimwit.

- Figmo

Old 24-07-2003, 12:42 AM
Hope Munro Smith

"Figmo" wrote in
. net:

I'm going to post to my local gardening group too and find out...

Yeah, that's wise. Don't trust the California Dept of Agriculture
website, but see what your buddies in Texas know about California
agriculture laws.

Do us a favor and stay in Texas, dimwit.

- Figmo

Gee, you are so sweet! Austin.gardening *has* people who have moved back
and forth between here and California.
Old 24-07-2003, 12:42 AM
Tracey

Maybe I should just put them inside the trunk before
the border crossing and lie to the agent?!

Oh, I wouldn't do that. A random vehicle check would
then sure put a crimp in your day.

Tracey

Old 24-07-2003, 01:32 AM
jammer

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:41:52 +0000 (UTC), Hope Munro Smith
wrote:

Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to California from Texas, and we are
getting contradictory information about whether or which plants we can take
with us. My understanding is that you can take houseplants that have not
spent time outdoors or at least don't have any critters like fire ants in
them. Does anyone have experience with the border check point and what the
procedure is? I don't want to bring a bunch of plants and then have them
thrown out at the border, I'd rather give them away. Thanks for your help!

until soon, Hope

Back in the late 70's they took an apple away from me that i was
eating. They took all of my other fruit, too.

I cant wait to move back to california from texas. Every year i go
home to california and bring back, in my suitcase, aloe and wandering
jew. It's wierd to see the wandering jew die and reappear each year. I
have tried other plants but they never made it. I was out there last
month and bought my mom some of these low to the ground flowering
plants with such BRIGHT colors!! You'll have to hit a nursery when you
get there to see what i am talking about.

Enjoy the weather when you get there! This weather sucks!

Old 24-07-2003, 01:32 AM
jammer

Mail the plants to someone out there and if you dont know anyone, mail
them to someone who can keep them alive until they can ship them to
you. Plants survive large ziplocks with a couple of wet paper towels
quite well.