GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato Plant - thanks, all (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/41722-re-tomato-plant-thanks-all.html)

Nanceemo 30-08-2003 08:22 PM

Tomato Plant - thanks, all

Possible causes: excess nitrogen fertilizer causing green groeth at the
expense of fruit-avoid addinmg any nitrogen fertilizer---exces heat over 90
degrees can can affect fruit set adversly--a combination of both these
condirions

aahhhh ... I have only used Osmocote and that only twice. I thought the time
release thing would take care of frequent fertilizing and probably more
intelligently than I would. But it's been 90 - 100+ all summer, so I guess
it's just the wrong combination, huh? At least, the tomatoes I am getting are
delicious. : )

Phisherman 31-08-2003 02:02 AM

Tomato Plant - thanks, all

On 30 Aug 2003 19:18:39 GMT, (Nanceemo) wrote:

Possible causes: excess nitrogen fertilizer causing green groeth at the

expense of fruit-avoid addinmg any nitrogen fertilizer---exces heat over 90
degrees can can affect fruit set adversly--a combination of both these
condirions

aahhhh ... I have only used Osmocote and that only twice. I thought the time
release thing would take care of frequent fertilizing and probably more
intelligently than I would. But it's been 90 - 100+ all summer, so I guess
it's just the wrong combination, huh? At least, the tomatoes I am getting are
delicious. : )

I getting tomatoes from my Early Girl, Better Boy, and cherry tomato
plant. Some are blemish-free on the exterior, and rotten inside. None
of the cherry tomatoes have rotted. We had plenty of rain, but daily
temps in the mid 90's and nights in the 70's. Tomatoes like cooler
temps. It's a good plan to plant a few different kinds.