GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Harvesting Cosoms Seed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/41751-harvesting-cosoms-seed.html)

Taj Morton 31-08-2003 04:02 AM

Harvesting Cosoms Seed

Hi All,
Does anyone here know how to harvest Cosmos seed--I mean like a *bunch*
of plants...commercial. Something like 100-200 plants. We've tried
laying them down on groundcover. Does this work?
Also, how do you keep the birds off of them ;-).
Thanks, Taj

J. Lane 01-09-2003 09:15 AM

Harvesting Cosoms Seed

I'd try putting the flower head in large containers without lids, to dry
out. When the flowers are dried out, shake the heads to free the seeds and
collect the seeds in paper bags. Label bags and store in the fridge.
Other than that, you could do the same as herbs. Tie the plants together and
hang them upside down over a sheet or newspapers( can be done inside) and
wait till the flowers are completely dried. Collect the seeds the same as
above.
--
Jayel