Old 01-09-2003, 04:02 AM
joe user

Default Have eroding hillside - requesting suggestions

Hello,

I have a hillside lot in a semi-rural setting (SW Ohio area) that is
eroding rather rapidly. Does anyone have a suggestion of a
low-maintenance plant that would slow or stop erosion while being
resistant to pollution from the adjacent highway?
Low-maintenance 'cuz I don't live there and can't drive 50 miles every
week to mow & etc.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:02 PM
David J Bockman

Whichever plant you choose, I would suggest laying down an erosion control
blanket first, then planting through the blanket. Curlex is one brand name
that woks well, as well as various other jutte fiber types of blankets. This
will stabilize the soil while the plants root in.
Dave

Old 01-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Beecrofter

joe user wrote in message . ..
Hello,

I have a hillside lot in a semi-rural setting (SW Ohio area) that is
eroding rather rapidly. Does anyone have a suggestion of a
low-maintenance plant that would slow or stop erosion while being
resistant to pollution from the adjacent highway?
Low-maintenance 'cuz I don't live there and can't drive 50 miles every
week to mow & etc.

Crown Vetch is what the highway departments use.
Any kind of cover is going to help.
Try a contractor mix of grass seed to get some coverage before winter.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:02 PM
joe user

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 12:01:21 GMT, "David J Bockman"
wrote:

Whichever plant you choose, I would suggest laying down an erosion control
blanket first, then planting through the blanket. Curlex is one brand name
that woks well, as well as various other jutte fiber types of blankets. This
will stabilize the soil while the plants root in.
Dave

"joe user" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

I have a hillside lot in a semi-rural setting (SW Ohio area) that is
eroding rather rapidly. Does anyone have a suggestion of a
low-maintenance plant that would slow or stop erosion while being
resistant to pollution from the adjacent highway?
Low-maintenance 'cuz I don't live there and can't drive 50 miles every
week to mow & etc.

OK, thanks. I always wondered what 'jute matting' was for. I ( and
my soon to be non-eroding hillside) thank you all.

Old 01-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Frank Logullo

"joe user" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a hillside lot in a semi-rural setting (SW Ohio area) that is
eroding rather rapidly. Does anyone have a suggestion of a
low-maintenance plant that would slow or stop erosion while being
resistant to pollution from the adjacent highway?
Low-maintenance 'cuz I don't live there and can't drive 50 miles every
week to mow & etc.

Used to see a lot of crown vetch along highways. In my experience it gives
way to other vegetation but initial use seems to keep down erosion.
Frank

Old 02-09-2003, 05:32 AM
B & J

"Frank Logullo" wrote in message

"joe user" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a hillside lot in a semi-rural setting (SW Ohio area) that is
eroding rather rapidly. Does anyone have a suggestion of a
low-maintenance plant that would slow or stop erosion while being
resistant to pollution from the adjacent highway?
Low-maintenance 'cuz I don't live there and can't drive 50 miles every
week to mow & etc.

Used to see a lot of crown vetch along highways. In my experience it

gives
way to other vegetation but initial use seems to keep down erosion.
Frank

There's a perennial legume called birdsfoot trefoil that is great for
erosion prevention. The highway department frequently seeds it on disturbed,
construction areas, and it produces a splash of bright yellow flowers that
is attractive. It isn't as tall as crown vetch, which I consider a plus. It
has attributes for wildlife that you might like.

Check out this site: http://www.wildlifeseeds.com/info/trefoil.html or do
you own Google search.

John

Old 04-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Chris Owens

joe user wrote:

Hello,

I have a hillside lot in a semi-rural setting (SW Ohio area) that is
eroding rather rapidly. Does anyone have a suggestion of a
low-maintenance plant that would slow or stop erosion while being
resistant to pollution from the adjacent highway?
Low-maintenance 'cuz I don't live there and can't drive 50 miles every
week to mow & etc.

Daylilies, shasta daisies, monarda will all fit the bilol.

Chris Owens