GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What is this plant? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/420-what-plant.html)

Luna Kwok 06-02-2003 08:19 PM

What is this plant?

Hello,

I recently received an unusual plant as a gift, and I don't know what
it is and how to take care of it. Please advise.

It has large, shiny, dark green heart-shaped leaves which are 2"-3" in
diameter. Each leave comes out a long straight stem which is about
8"-10" tall. The root system looks it is a cross between bulbs and
rizomes. The shape is like a skinny oval bulb, but the outside looks
like it has rings like on rizomes. The medium it comes in is a dish
with large stones and water, and there is no soil.

I would love any advice you can give me about this plant.

Thanks in advance,
Luna

Cereoid+10 06-02-2003 11:14 PM

What is this plant?

Maybe its a freaking Frilled Farkel Fern?

My advise is the next time you get a gift plant you ask the giver what the
frell it is and how to take care of it.

om...

hermine stover 07-02-2003 01:23 AM

What is this plant?

On 6 Feb 2003 12:19:10 -0800, (Luna Kwok)
wrote:

Hello,

I recently received an unusual plant as a gift, and I don't know what
it is and how to take care of it. Please advise.

It has large, shiny, dark green heart-shaped leaves which are 2"-3" in
diameter. Each leave comes out a long straight stem which is about
8"-10" tall. The root system looks it is a cross between bulbs and
rizomes. The shape is like a skinny oval bulb, but the outside looks
like it has rings like on rizomes. The medium it comes in is a dish
with large stones and water, and there is no soil.

I would love any advice you can give me about this plant.

Thanks in advance,
Luna

It SOUHDS like some kind of TARO, a member of the aroid family. best
guess

hermine stover

Elizabeth 07-02-2003 01:42 AM

What is this plant?

"Luna Kwok" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I recently received an unusual plant as a gift, and I don't know what
it is and how to take care of it. Please advise.

It has large, shiny, dark green heart-shaped leaves which are 2"-3" in
diameter. Each leave comes out a long straight stem which is about
8"-10" tall. The root system looks it is a cross between bulbs and
rizomes. The shape is like a skinny oval bulb, but the outside looks
like it has rings like on rizomes. The medium it comes in is a dish
with large stones and water, and there is no soil.

I would love any advice you can give me about this plant.

Thanks in advance,
Luna

Kind of sounds like a Homalomena.

elizabeth

jammer 07-02-2003 02:48 AM

What is this plant?

wrote:

Hello,

I recently received an unusual plant as a gift, and I don't know what
it is and how to take care of it. Please advise.

It has large, shiny, dark green heart-shaped leaves which are 2"-3" in
diameter. Each leave comes out a long straight stem which is about
8"-10" tall. The root system looks it is a cross between bulbs and
rizomes. The shape is like a skinny oval bulb, but the outside looks
like it has rings like on rizomes. The medium it comes in is a dish
with large stones and water, and there is no soil.

I would love any advice you can give me about this plant.

Thanks in advance,
Luna

My advice, since it could be one of thousands, would be to take a
picture of it for people to see. I just got a plant myself, and will
have to do that very thing. I spent hours looking for it online, with
no luck.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´

Cereoid+10 07-02-2003 10:21 AM

What is this plant?

Kind of sounds like a Homalomena.

You watch your phraseology, young lady!

Such potty mouth in a erudite garden group.

BTW, exactly what does a Homalomena sound like?
Are they doing their mating call this time of year?

Based on the description, it could even be something as commonplace as a
rhizomatous Begonia!