Old 03-09-2003, 04:42 AM
zxcvbob

Default "Ground cover" roses ( I want an invasive plant!

J. Del Col wrote:

A ground cover rose such as "Grouse" might be a good choice. It is
aggressive, fast growing, incredibly tough and winter hardy. Grouse
has small, shiny, dark green--pretty much evergreen-- leaflets. It
does not get more than about ten inches high. The flowers are
single-petaled ---i.e. five petals-- light pink fading to white,
scented, and about two inches across. Once established it needs no
special attention. I have had it covering a steep slope in my yard
for years. Neither dogs, cats, deer, or groundhogs seem to bother it.

BTW, it has plenty of small, sharp, and strong thorns.

J. Del Col

Where can someone buy "Grouse" in USA? The few places that I can find that
sells them are all in Europe. There are other groundcover roses available
(like "Sea Foam"), but I don't know if these others are hardy in zone 4.

Bob

Old 03-09-2003, 01:02 PM
J. Del Col

zxcvbob wrote in message ...
J. Del Col wrote:

A ground cover rose such as "Grouse" might be a good choice. It is
aggressive, fast growing, incredibly tough and winter hardy. Grouse
has small, shiny, dark green--pretty much evergreen-- leaflets. It
does not get more than about ten inches high. The flowers are
single-petaled ---i.e. five petals-- light pink fading to white,
scented, and about two inches across. Once established it needs no
special attention. I have had it covering a steep slope in my yard
for years. Neither dogs, cats, deer, or groundhogs seem to bother it.

BTW, it has plenty of small, sharp, and strong thorns.

J. Del Col

Where can someone buy "Grouse" in USA? The few places that I can find that
sells them are all in Europe. There are other groundcover roses available
(like "Sea Foam"), but I don't know if these others are hardy in zone 4.

"Sea Foam is a bit big for a ground cover. It gets to be nearly
4 feet tall. It is very aggressive, in more ways than one. It has
the most
vicious thorns (prickles, technically) of any rose in my collection (I
have about 120 roses.) If you want a barrier hedge, Seafoam is a
great choice.

I got "Grouse" from Heirloom Old Garden Roses. I don't know if they
have it anymore.

J. Del Col
Old 03-09-2003, 06:02 PM
AnonnyMoose

Check Heirloom Roses for Green Snake. My catalog says it is hardy to zone
4/5 with a height of 6" to 1', so maybe you'll have luck with it.
http://heirloomroses.com/ Other zone 4/5 ground covers in the 2003 catalog
are the Meidilands (alba, coral, magic, ruby), Pink Bells, and Seafoam, but
they are all well over a foot in height.

karen

"J. Del Col" wrote in message
m...