Old 04-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Dave

Default Why is Banboo so expencive?

Why is Banboo so expencive?

From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it and it
will begin to grow. I can see pay $5-$10 for some but paying $19-$40 on
ebay is out of my price range.
Is there something I don't know about the high price? Please advise.

Thanks,

David

Old 04-09-2003, 04:32 PM
DavesVideo

Is there something I don't know about the high price?

I didn't know that it was expensive, all I have ever seen was free. Years ago I
saw an ad for free bamboo where someone wanted to get rid of it. I took some
and planted in my front yard, a few years later they put in sidewalks, so I
moved it to my back yard. When I got my new place I transplanted some of to two
diffferent patches. Once it was established, my neighbor asked for a few plants
and now he also has a grove. The bamboo has now gone through 5 incarnations
and not once was there any money involved. Try to find someone with a large
patch who will not mind your digging up a few plants.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 04-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Heidi

Because it is trendy.

Frou frou "garden" shops (S&H, etc...) are banking on people who don't
really garden, and who don't know better, to buy up trendy lucky bamboo
and inflated prices to put in a vase for indoor decoration. It became a
hot item with the fung shui movement. Now you can buy lucky bamboo
inside wal mart (not the garden center--the home decor isle), or at the
airport.

It's the same reason gourmet cooking stores sells butane at $12 for a
6oz bottle right next to the kitchen torches. These stores know that
people who shop there don't shop around for better deals.

Heidi

Dave wrote:

Why is Banboo so expencive?

From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it and it

Old 04-09-2003, 07:02 PM
AnonnyMoose

I'd like to know why it's so expensive too. Different varities are selling
from $40 to $100, and over, around here and it's just grass, for crying in
the beer. If you can get something like black bamboo on E-bay for $40 I'd
say it's a bargain!
karen

"Heidi" wrote in message
Because it is trendy.

Frou frou "garden" shops (S&H, etc...) are banking on people who don't
really garden, and who don't know better, to buy up trendy lucky bamboo
and inflated prices to put in a vase for indoor decoration. It became a
hot item with the fung shui movement. Now you can buy lucky bamboo
inside wal mart (not the garden center--the home decor isle), or at the
airport.

It's the same reason gourmet cooking stores sells butane at $12 for a
6oz bottle right next to the kitchen torches. These stores know that
people who shop there don't shop around for better deals.

Heidi

Dave wrote:

Why is Banboo so expencive?

From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it and

it

Old 05-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Andrew Ostrander

I was in Thailand about 18 months ago and the "lucky bamboo" was expensive
there too. I also wonder why.

"Heidi" wrote in message
Because it is trendy.

Frou frou "garden" shops (S&H, etc...) are banking on people who don't
really garden, and who don't know better, to buy up trendy lucky bamboo
and inflated prices to put in a vase for indoor decoration. It became a
hot item with the fung shui movement. Now you can buy lucky bamboo
inside wal mart (not the garden center--the home decor isle), or at the
airport.

It's the same reason gourmet cooking stores sells butane at $12 for a
6oz bottle right next to the kitchen torches. These stores know that
people who shop there don't shop around for better deals.

Heidi

Dave wrote:

Why is Banboo so expencive?

From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it and

it

Old 05-09-2003, 01:03 AM
AnonnyMoose

"If you bought "Lucky Bamboo," "Chinese Bamboo," "Curly Bamboo" or "Water
Bamboo" the plant you bought isn't bamboo at all, and not even a grass."

Quoted from the American Bamboo Society.

The mystery grows.

karen

Old 05-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

That's because suckers have to pay big time for being so naive.

The so called "lucky bamboo" isn't a bamboo at all and its lucky only for
the unscrupulous vendors who are getting away with selling it to the
gullible.

The plant is Dracaena sanderiana native to tropical west Africa (not the
orient) and has absolutely nothing at all to do with feng shui.

"Heidi" wrote in message
Because it is trendy.

Frou frou "garden" shops (S&H, etc...) are banking on people who don't
really garden, and who don't know better, to buy up trendy lucky

bamboo
and inflated prices to put in a vase for indoor decoration. It became

hot item with the fung shui movement. Now you can buy lucky bamboo
inside wal mart (not the garden center--the home decor isle), or at

the
airport.

It's the same reason gourmet cooking stores sells butane at $12 for a
6oz bottle right next to the kitchen torches. These stores know that
people who shop there don't shop around for better deals.

Heidi

Dave wrote:

Why is Banboo so expencive?

From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it

and
it

Old 05-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Beecrofter

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Why is Banboo so expencive?

From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it and it
will begin to grow. I can see pay $5-$10 for some but paying $19-$40 on
ebay is out of my price range.
Is there something I don't know about the high price? Please advise.

Thanks,

David

What variety did you want.?
I take a rhizome division in the spring and I pot it up and water it
through the summer and then make sure it puts up new shoots the
following springn so that you don't end up with a dud 30$ and a damn
fine specimen.
If you want it for 5-10$ then you come and do the digging and the
potting up and the watering and come spring if it makes no new shoots
come back with another 5-10$ and try again.

Oh and Heidi "Lucky Bamboo" isn't even in the grass family.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Roy

I have whats reffered to around here as cane....I guess its in the
bamboo family or maybe it is actually bamboo, I dunno, it does get
pretty thick in diaeter (biggest I have around is about 4" or so) and
it gets pretty darn tall. I can't keep it cut back and it grows wild
and fast. It gets to be a problem on the edge of the field as when you
bush hog it down the remaining stalks are notorious for giving a
tractor a flat tire once tghe stalk stumps dry. They look great as a
large thick screen, but soon take over the place.

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:52:23 +0100,
(Jim W) wrote:

x-Dave wrote:
x-
x-
x- Why is Banboo so expencive?
x-
x- From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it and it
x- will begin to grow. I can see pay $5-$10 for some but paying $19-$40 on
x- ebay is out of my price range.
x- Is there something I don't know about the high price? Please advise.
x-
x-Depends what you mean by 'Bamboo' there are many many different species
x-of plants known as bamboo. A lot of the Phyllostachys (the Black and the
x-Golden are the commonest) have been made very popular by TV gardewning
x-programs and retailers are thus cashing in.. Here in London you can pay
x-about 60 quid (95USD) retail for a medium pot (about 40 litre) of
x-bamboo.. I managed to find a pot for 35 and split it into 2 and that
x-was a reasonable prices given the costs around here.
x-The rarer types bring a higher price range even from mail order
x-suppliers.
x-
x-Phyllostachys species are also relativly slow growing in this country.
x-Other types are not and are invasive!-)
x-
x-//
x-Jim

--