Old 07-02-2003, 01:48 AM
paghat

Default are my honeysuckle vines dead?

In article , "effi" wrote:

or do 1st year plants lose their leaves in winter in texas?

Most honeysuckles are deciduous & lose their leaves late autumn or early
winter (in my zone even the ones that are evergreen further south behave
in a deciduous manner). But by this time of year (here in Zone 8 anyway)
their new leaves should be extremely obvious & already rather pretty, so
if there is no evidence of leaves or leafbuds, I vote dead.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 07-02-2003, 01:50 AM
effi

or do 1st year plants lose their leaves in winter in texas?

Old 07-02-2003, 02:01 AM
effi

oops, they might be honeysuckle bushes, if that makes any difference

Old 07-02-2003, 01:58 PM
SAS567

My honeysuckle vines don't lose their leaves in the winter. They just turn
brown and dry up. A few of them fall off but not many. In the spring the new
leaves just take over. They are 12yr. old vines.
My honeysuckle bushes totally lose their leaves.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
Old 08-02-2003, 05:43 PM
loki

"effi" wrote

oops, they might be honeysuckle bushes, if that makes any difference

It does. They go dormant just like trees.

Loki

Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 AM
Pam

loki wrote:

"effi" wrote

oops, they might be honeysuckle bushes, if that makes any difference

It does. They go dormant just like trees.

Loki

Not necessarily - there are a good many shrub honeysuckle that are
evergreen. If that's what you have and they've lost all their leaves, you
might have something to worry about. Do you know the species?

pam - gardengal

Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 AM
loki

"Pam" wrote

Not necessarily - there are a good many shrub honeysuckle that are
evergreen. If that's what you have and they've lost all their leaves, you
might have something to worry about. Do you know the species?

Mine? No clue. There were ancient when I moved in here 7 years ago.

A few were cut to the ground to accommodate new fencing and they
came back like crazy. Now the older ones are as tall as trees and the ones
that are 7 are way over my head.

Loki