Old 07-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Peppergirl

Default Transplanting rose bushes

We will be moving in November, but i want to transplant some of my beautiful
rose bushes, i can transplant my plants at our new home now, but i'd like to
know if it's ok to transplant rose bushes? We live in Southern Ontario.
Thank you!
Peppergirl
http://hotcuisine.esmartweb.com/

Old 07-09-2003, 04:12 AM
Dwayne

It is better to wait until they are dormant, but I have done it during the
middle of the summer, watered them well and gave them some root growth stuff
and they made it OK.

Dwayne

Old 07-09-2003, 11:02 AM
gregpresley

I think a standard technique would be to root prune NOW by digging a spade
deeply (6-10 inches deep) around the rose's drip line, cutting through any
long and spreading roots. Once enough frost has come to kill most of the
leaves and induce some amount of dormacy in the rose, strip the leaves
from the plant, cut back the branches and dig up the rose, trying to keep as
much of the soil around the roots as possible - maybe slide some burlap or
other strong material under the rose as you begin to lift it. I would think
that late October would be perfect for this type of work, as long as the
ground hasn't frozen, and by then the severed root ends will probably have
hardened off. If these are marginally hardy roses, like hybrid teas, you
will probably need to give them a lot of extra protection the first winter.
Maybe pile leaves 3 or 4 feet over the canes or something like that.