GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hawk moth/ Tomato horn worm? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/42435-hawk-moth-tomato-horn-worm.html)

Annaid 07-09-2003 09:12 PM

Hawk moth/ Tomato horn worm?

I have found some (what I am pretty sure are) tomato horn worms on my tomato
plants. Are these the caterpillar for the Hawk Moth (or also called
Hummingbird Moth)? The hawk moths are such interesting critters. My
children love to watch them, but I have heard the tomato horn worm can be
destructive to tomato plants.

I have had tomato plants for year and never noticed these critters on my
plants before. My tomatoes are almost done, so I am not too concerned
....this year. Should I expect a problem with infestation next year? Is it
late for them (the caterpillar) to be appearing this year?

Any advice on these critters is appreciated.

Thank you
D~

Sed5555 07-09-2003 11:06 PM

Hawk moth/ Tomato horn worm?

Should I expect a problem with infestation next year?
Not necessarily. I have had years when they were everywhere and now its been 5
years since I've seen one even though I have seen both hawk and sphinx moths
around the garden. And I have had tomatoes every year.
Is it late for them (the caterpillar) to be appearing this year?

No. This is the time of year you should expect to see them. For more
information see:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...sts/tomato.htm
sed5555

Lar 08-09-2003 05:32 AM

Hawk moth/ Tomato horn worm?

In article ,
says...
:) Any idea what the cocoon looks like?
:)
:)
It will be brown. They over winter in the pupa stage in
soft soil or leaf litter.
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!