Old 08-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Mick

Default Where to buy crape myrtle?

Hello,

Does anyone know where I mail order crape myrtles? I'm specifically
looking for the Apalachee or Sioux variety. I'm open to growing from
seed too. None of the nurseries around me carry these varieties.

PS - I'm in zone 6b.

Thanks
-Mick
Old 08-09-2003, 05:02 PM
David J Bockman

Zone 6 is really dangerously close to their cut-off point with regard to
winter hardiness. I suspect the nurseries in your area have had poor
experiences selling them?

Dave

Old 08-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Vox Humana

"Mick" wrote in message
Hello,

Does anyone know where I mail order crape myrtles? I'm specifically
looking for the Apalachee or Sioux variety. I'm open to growing from
seed too. None of the nurseries around me carry these varieties.

I was interested in getting some crape myrtle for my zone 6 garden (SW OHIO)
and contacted this nursery:
http://www.crapemyrtle.com/

I didn't buy any so I can't make any comment about this source. They sent
me a nice package of information and claimed that they had CM growing in
Pittsburgh which is probably zone 5/6. There are several people in my
immediate area that have a variety of CM that is red. The specimens seem to
be multi-trunk small trees or large shrubs that get to be around 12-15 ft
tall. They seem to be too big to have died back to the ground each year.

Old 08-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Mick

Actually, they do really well in my zone. I have a watermellon
variety that has done excellent the past 4 years. Its now about 12 ft
high.

I was at a nursery yesterday and they were selling like crazy. Its
just that they don't have the two varieties that I want. They had the
Natchez, Apalachee, and Hopi.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:27 AM
Madgardener

check yer local Lowe's. I would have told you no way this late but today we
got in a TRUCKLOAD of trees and shrubs of which there were about 50 crape
myrtles (more like 150 actually) in one and three gallon pots, the one
gallon ones were 3.97, the three gallon ones were
8.97............madgardener in Eastern Tennessee

Old 10-09-2003, 04:32 PM
TOM KAN PA

I'm in zone 5/6 about 12 miles north of Pittsburgh. I tried twice planting a
Penn State variety that was supposed to be able to take our winters. Neither of
them survived.

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] First Aid on a Crape Myrtle Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 3 05-01-2004 05:32 AM
First Aid on a Crape Myrtle Helena Handbasket Bonsai 0 05-01-2004 01:02 AM
crape myrtle Wishy13764 Gardening 2 25-09-2003 01:12 AM
crape myrtle mardab Gardening 4 12-05-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] Crape Myrtle Repot audgen Bonsai 2 17-03-2003 09:44 PM