GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can a maple survive with half day sun ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/42506-can-maple-survive-half-day-sun.html)

JW 08-09-2003 04:32 PM

Can a maple survive with half day sun ?

I have a 10 feet Red sunset maple in a pot that I would like to plant
at the south west side of my house to be used as a shade tree, you
know to shade the house from the afternoon sun. My question is if I
plant the tree in the intended location, the tree only gets the sun
from noon to sunset, can it survive on this kind of condition ?

Appreciate if any expert in this group can share their experience.

Frank Logullo 09-09-2003 12:34 PM

Can a maple survive with half day sun ?

"JW" wrote in message
m...
I have a 10 feet Red sunset maple in a pot that I would like to plant
at the south west side of my house to be used as a shade tree, you
know to shade the house from the afternoon sun. My question is if I
plant the tree in the intended location, the tree only gets the sun
from noon to sunset, can it survive on this kind of condition ?

Appreciate if any expert in this group can share their experience.

I'm no expert but I had one in similar situation. I say "had" because it
got so big it threatened the house and I had to cut it down.
Frank

JW 09-09-2003 09:12 PM

Can a maple survive with half day sun ?

Thanks for responding to my question. It must be sad to cut down a
beautiful tree. Could you tell me how close was the tree to your house
? I plan to plant it 15 feet from the house. Can't go any further
because my lot is kind of small and I don't want to place the tree
where it would intrude into my neighbours territory, creating some
other problems.

How long did it take for your red maple to grow into such a large tree
? I plan
to stay in the present house for may be another 15 years.

Frank Logullo 10-09-2003 12:02 PM

(JW) wrote in message . com...
Thanks for responding to my question. It must be sad to cut down a
beautiful tree. Could you tell me how close was the tree to your house
? I plan to plant it 15 feet from the house. Can't go any further
because my lot is kind of small and I don't want to place the tree
where it would intrude into my neighbours territory, creating some
other problems.

How long did it take for your red maple to grow into such a large tree
? I plan
to stay in the present house for may be another 15 years.

It was a maple, but don't think it was a red maple. Important thing
is you consider ultimate size of tree in relation to your house.
Google indicates red maple will be 40-60 ft in 25 years. My tree was
healthy but I had to trim one limb that was scraping garage roof and
tree got so big, I was concerned that if it fell, it could cause
considerable damage to house.
Frank

[email protected] 10-09-2003 02:22 PM

(JW) wrote in message om...
I have a 10 feet Red sunset maple in a pot that I would like to plant
at the south west side of my house to be used as a shade tree, you
know to shade the house from the afternoon sun. My question is if I
plant the tree in the intended location, the tree only gets the sun
from noon to sunset, can it survive on this kind of condition ?

Appreciate if any expert in this group can share their experience.

Samples of maple shade tolerance on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being
the most shade tolerant: red maple= 6.0-7.9 tolerant; sugar maple= 10
(most tolerant maple); boxelder= 1.8, very intolerant; silver maple=
5.8, intermediate.

(Source: "Native Trees For Urban And Rural America, A Planting Design
Manual For Environmental DesignersGary L. Hightshoe)

This is consistent with my experience. I planted a sugar and a red
among hybrid poplars which quickly grew and shaded-out the maples.
This was 1979. The poplars had to be removed as they were dying. The
sugar thrived in the shade and is now about 50 ft. tall. The red,
which is ordinarily faster than the sugar survived but is spindly and
about 15 ft. tall. Other reds planted in partial sun averaged at
least 3 ft. linear growth per year.

Jack

zebrin 10-09-2003 02:42 PM

Can a maple survive with half day sun ?

That's plenty of sun. What state are you in? I have one that
receives very little direct sunlight. It's kind of under a tree
canopy of other full grown distant trees. (planning for the future)
....So mine has grown slowly. I believe this tree has a very shallow
root system. I lost another one I had to a strong wind which was
already about 15 feet. Maybe these trees topple easily during storms
due to the nature of the root system. ? So you might want to plant
accordingly to which way most of the storms blow in your area. (would
it blow away from your home or towards it?) I don't think they are
very draught tolerant when they are young (depending on where you
live). But they are a beautiful tree. Whether or not this is the
most suitable shade tree for a smaller lot well that might be a good
topic for discussion. You could plant the maple on another spot just
for eye appeal and get something else instead for shade. I once saw a
website that showed the silhouettes of tree shapes in black and their
various appropriate use. For example; umbrella shaped etc. and it
discussed various tree uses. Maybe you could find a website like
that.

Respectfully,

Zebrin

"D Kat" wrote in message ...
Sounds as if you have more than enough sun for it IMO. DK

m...

JW 10-09-2003 06:12 PM

Can a maple survive with half day sun ?

I am from Southern Ontario, Canada, zone 6. We don't get too much wind
in our area, so that shouldn't be a problem. Also here in the great
white north the growing season is short, together with the fact that
it only gets half day sun, I doubt it will grow at the rate of 3 feet
a year as mentioned by another poster. I will be happy if it grows 1
feet a year. So 15 or 20 years later it will still be just a bit
taller than my roof, not much of a threat to the house.

The red maple is one of my favorite tree. Another ones are northern
red oaks, sweet gums, and serviceberry, which I plan to plant in some
other spots around my house.

"D Kat" wrote in message ...
Sounds as if you have more than enough sun for it IMO. DK

m...

Cereoid-UR12- 10-09-2003 06:22 PM

Can a maple survive with half day sun ?

Can half a maple survive half as well half a day with half sun half the
time?

Maybe if you used half strength fertilizer and you watered it only half as
much half the time?

om...

"D Kat" wrote in message

Sounds as if you have more than enough sun for it IMO. DK

m...