Old 09-09-2003, 02:22 AM
Louis Leciejewski

Default Dahlia Tuber Question

I live in the Chicago area and have a Dahlia tuber that for some reason this
year has not sprouted new growth. I dug the tuber up and checked it and it
is firm and not showing signs of rot or softening. This is a very old part
of a Dahlia I inherited from my Grandmother back in 1980 so I really want to
save it. I plan on just storing it over the Winter as usual and see what
happens next year. Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

Lou Leciejewski

Email:

Old 11-09-2003, 06:22 AM
Fred Stevens

Unfortunately, if your tuber didn't sprout this spring, it probably means that
the "eyes," which is where growth initiated, have succumbed. So... even if the
tuber is firm, it probably will not grow next year either. Consider joining a
dahlia society and you may be able to locate a variety close to what you had.
Take a look at the American Dahlia society web site: http://www.dahlia.org/
which has in addition to pictures and lots of helpful information, links to
dahlia clubs around the U.S.