Old 10-09-2003, 03:42 AM
trayn

Default Spring Bulbs

I have a small lawn, faces due east, in Ottawa Canada. My lawn is one of
the last for the snow to melt from and really only gets morning sun. Do I
have any chance growning tulips, daffodils, and crocuses?

Also, can I plant these in pots in my backyard over the winter or do they
need to be planted in the ground.

Thanks

Old 10-09-2003, 04:34 AM
Paracelsus

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 22:04:22 -0400, "trayn"
wrote:

I have a small lawn, faces due east, in Ottawa Canada. My lawn is one of
the last for the snow to melt from and really only gets morning sun. Do I
have any chance growning tulips, daffodils, and crocuses?

One of the problems of growing tulips in a cold climate such as that of
Ottawa is losing snow cover too early in the spring, often on the south
side of buildings, with premature emergence of top growth which can be
damaged by late frosts.

Your slow melt on the east side will keep your tulips protected until
later in the spring with less risk of coming up too early during a warm
spell.

Plant tulips in the ground immediately, not in pots, but right in the
ground. They need to get their roots established before penetrating
frost halts all growth for this year.

Daffodils and crocuses are less hardy and you might seek advice from a
neighbour about the best game plan.

Paracelsus

[IMG] code is On

spring bulbs miklol United Kingdom 3 30-09-2003 11:41 PM
Water & fertilize bulbs in spring or fall? Pelvis Popcan Gardening 4 08-08-2003 11:22 PM
spring bulbs miklol United Kingdom 2 25-05-2003 01:56 PM
Storage for spring bulbs? Mick709 Gardening 1 08-03-2003 10:56 PM
Spring Bulbs Greg Gardening 2 04-02-2003 02:48 AM