GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   palm tree problems. . .help me! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/42719-palm-tree-problems-help-me.html)

Iggy555 10-09-2003 08:42 PM

palm tree problems. . .help me!

Hello all. I just moved into a new house and have a lot of queen palms causing
some problems. I've already had to get two removed, one because it was planted
on top of the main water line to the house and one that actually had the trunk
pushing against the roof. . .

Other palms seem dangerously close to sprinklers, drains, up to the very edge
of concrete (expensive stamped concrete no less), small retaining walls, and
costly pool equipment.

Firstly, how worried should I be that it is close to all these things? Right
now, they're just getting watered via the automatic sprinkler system. Would
deep watering with a hose perhaps help the roots to grow more down and not
out? If so, how often?

For the palms that are very close to the edge of concrete (one is actually
touching the edge), it seems only a matter of time that the diameter of the
trunk will grow bigger, thus cracking the concrete. There is already hairline
cracks, but I imagine this will just get worse and worse and worse.

Lastly, should I fertilize the palm trees? Some of them look like they could
use it (i.e. the new growth is a little "frazzled" and not a lush green).
Might fertilizer encourage these palms to do more jerky things than they're
already doing to the yard?

Several of the trees have a sprinkler about 2 inches from the current trunk.
The sprinklers still work fine. The trees are currently about 20ft. Is it
inevitable that the sprinklers are going to bust? Should I just relocate the
sprinklers now?

I'd prefer not ripping out all my large palm trees because they really tend to
make the yard. . .what would you do out there? Please email your response if
possible in addition to posting on this board, so I know that somebody has
responded. Thanks so much!

-Kevin )

V_coerulea 11-09-2003 02:29 AM

palm tree problems. . .help me!

It's been my experience that palm trunks can do damage to walks, roofs, etc,
but they don't have the same kind of roots as a maple or oak that can lift
and crack cement. They can wrap around waterlines but have never seen them
do any damage to them or sprinklers. But with the sprinklers so close, and
therefore the waterline, I'd bet the trunk could do damage to both. So, yes,
I'd relocate them now, or install new ones and cut back and cap the existing
line. Palms get extensive and massive root systems, but are nowher near as
invasive and damaging as most deciduous trees and pines.
Gary