Old 12-09-2003, 05:22 PM
paghat

Default Name That Shrub! (Please!)

This shrub has been in the yard forever & I've never known what species it is:
http://www.paghat.com/images/unknownhawthor_sep.jpg
It would seem to be some kind of Crataegus species or Hawthorn, but there
are other rose-family trees, even some Prunus, which get just as thorny, &
I've just never been certain. Here's another shot of it showing the leaves
better:
http://www.paghat.com/images/unknownhawtho_sep.jpg

In comparing it to a common Russian hawthorn the differences are many:

1) It has smaller-than-average white flowers in May, & they are
inconspicuous compared to similar blooms of Russian hawthorns, chokeberry,
&c.
2) It has regular-looking hawberries except slightly compressed rather
than round.
3) It has elongated leaves rather than ferny or lobed as most hawthorns.

Other traits:
1) The thorns are a good two inches long & sharper than the dickens
2) It is an old shrub but only about twelve or fifteen feet tall, so not
something that ever becomes a tree.
3) This one has a vase-shaped multi-trunked

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 12-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Garrapata

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:32:03 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

This shrub has been in the yard forever & I've never known what species it is:

How about Pyracantha?
Old 12-09-2003, 08:12 PM
paghat

In article ,
"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote:

That's three strikes and you're out, Brainfly!!!

Well, although Brian's newsreader program has obviously gone haywire for
posting, I got an email from him identifying it as a pyracantha, which now
that I'm told seems totally amazingly obvious, but in the years I've owned
this house & have been wondering what it was, that never occurred to me, I
was really stuck on it being some oddball kind of hawthorn. So thanks to
Brian.

-paghat

brianflay wrote in message

news

Old 12-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Janet Baraclough

The second pic does look more like pyracantha, but the first looks to
me like crataegus prunifolia, or c. crus gallii, both of which have the
vase shape that you mention, and long thorns. C prunifolia has glorious
autumn colour on the leaves if that's any help.

Janet.
Old 13-09-2003, 01:42 AM
paghat

In article , Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The second pic does look more like pyracantha, but the first looks to
me like crataegus prunifolia, or c. crus gallii, both of which have the
vase shape that you mention, and long thorns. C prunifolia has glorious
autumn colour on the leaves if that's any help.

Janet.

Brian thought it was Pyracantha atlantoides, which isn't discussed in any
book of mine, nor many places on the web either; but looking at a shitload
of images from a google image search, it seems likely to be the most
common of the firethorns, P. conccinea. I really thought it was some odd
crataegus, but it's something much more common than that. I forgot to
mention it was evergreen or no doubt you'd've been more certain. I think I
never recognized it because it never got really LOADED with berries the
way I think of pyracantha. When it was planted probably decades ago it
probably had plenty of sun, but a huge holly tree & a douglas fir shades
it nowadays, so it fruits mainly near the top or wherever it can reach out
into the sunlight.