Old 13-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Kelcey

Default Single hole in all of my red radishes, why?

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here in this group. The last vegetable garden
that I planted here in Honolulu, HI was when I was a little boy around
30 years ago.

Now, I am 37 years old and decided for the fun of reliving old
memories, I planted some roma tomatoes, bok choi, mustard cabbage,
white stemmed cabbage, long eggplant and the reason for my post, red
radishes.

I don't care for red radishes, but I read somewhere that they were
easy to grow and fast to mature and make an excellent morale builder,
since they develop rapidly, so I figured that if everything else
failed, at least I would have a good chance of success with red
radishes.

Perhaps it's not a problem, but all my radishes that I pull up to look
at have a single small hole about 1mm wide and goes into the body of
the radish about a 1/4th of an inch. I cut the radish apart, but I
can't find anything in there. At the end of the tube, I see a little
brown stuff, but nothing identifiable. Otherwise, the hole and the
tube is clean!

Is this a natural forming occurence? I figure that it may be, since
if it were a bug or worm or something, wouldn't there be more than
only one hole in each radish? I don't think insects would only alot
themselves one hole per radish.

Can anyone give me a clue as to these mysterious holes?

For my first time here, I find this group quite interesting.

Thanks!

Kelcey

Old 13-09-2003, 05:32 AM
Salty Thumb

Kelcey wrote in
:

Is this a natural forming occurence? I figure that it may be, since
if it were a bug or worm or something, wouldn't there be more than
only one hole in each radish? I don't think insects would only alot
themselves one hole per radish.

Can anyone give me a clue as to these mysterious holes?

Yes, absolutely they are normal for certain varieties, particularly the
Divine cultivars, otherwise known as Holey Radishes.

j/k, I don't know what they are. :-)

- S
Old 14-09-2003, 02:34 AM
B & J

"Kelcey" wrote in message
[...]

Radishes do their best when the temperatures are between 50-65 degrees,
which means spring or fall. They need sweet soil (limed), fertilizer, and
ample water to keep them growing.

The holes in your radishes are probably caused by the cabbage maggot. A fly
lays its eggs next to the root of the radish, and this hatches into the
maggot which burrows into the radish root. It's easily controlled by using
row cover, which prevent the fly from getting near the radish to lay its
eggs. As a bonus the row cover will also keep flea beetles from chewing on
the leaves.

John