GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can I turn my spent annuals into the soil? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/43007-can-i-turn-my-spent-annuals-into-soil.html)

Natty_Dread 14-09-2003 05:03 AM

Can I turn my spent annuals into the soil?

I planted a number of flowering annuals this year like zinnias, petunias,
etc. Can I turn them into the soil in the spring? If so, will that serve
to improve the soil or will it just be filler? Any advice is most welcome.

Thanks!

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA
Zone 7

======================

Better a bleeding heart than no heart at all.

Frankhartx 14-09-2003 02:02 PM

Can I turn my spent annuals into the soil?

From: "Natty_Dread"

I planted a number of flowering annuals this year like zinnias, petunias,
etc. Can I turn them into the soil in the spring? If so, will that serve
to improve the soil or will it just be filler? Any advice is most welcom

I would turn them in as soon as you are able and then plant a rye/vetch mix as
a winter cover crop--when this is turned in in the spring then you will have
made a major improvement to your soil. The off season is a wonderful time to do
soil improvements like adding limestone if your pH is low or adding long term
mineral amendments such as rock phosphate or greensand. What you take out of
the soil depends on what you put into it.