GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fertilizer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/43042-fertilizer.html)

Grandpa 14-09-2003 07:12 PM

Fertilizer

Is there any advantage to adding fertilizer, like steer manure or ???,
not the commercial pellet stuff, when I pull out all the dead/dying
flowers & veggies etc & turn the soil this fall or is it best to wait
until spring?

Frankhartx 14-09-2003 07:32 PM

Fertilizer

From: Grandpa

Is there any advantage to adding fertilizer, like steer manure or ???,
not the commercial pellet stuff, when I pull out all the dead/dying
flowers & veggies etc & turn the soil this fall or is it best to wait
until spring?

First you do NOT pull out the old plants unless they were diseased--you till
them in. You also may put a bit of manure out, it will help what you do next.
Next you plant a cover crop of rye and vetch which you will till under in the
spring. Have you ever gone out in the countryside in the winter and noticed
that the farmer's fields are not raw dirt but are green? Thats called cover
cropping and is the way to go for farmers and gardeners alike.

Jan Flora 14-09-2003 11:35 PM

Fertilizer

In article ,

From: Grandpa

Is there any advantage to adding fertilizer, like steer manure or ???,
not the commercial pellet stuff, when I pull out all the dead/dying
flowers & veggies etc & turn the soil this fall or is it best to wait
until spring?

First you do NOT pull out the old plants unless they were diseased--you till
them in. You also may put a bit of manure out, it will help what you do next.
Next you plant a cover crop of rye and vetch which you will till under in the
spring. Have you ever gone out in the countryside in the winter and noticed
that the farmer's fields are not raw dirt but are green? Thats called cover
cropping and is the way to go for farmers and gardeners alike.

Unless you're in the Frozen North(tm) like Alaska. Our soils are so cold that
cover crops won't rot when tilled in.

I pile compost onto the beds, when putting the garden up for the winter, then
till it in the next spring.

Jan

Frankhartx 15-09-2003 12:22 AM

Fertilizer

Unless you're in the Frozen North(tm) like Alaska. Our soils are so cold that
cover crops won't rot when tilled in.

Sell your oil wells to Exxon and move south

Jan Flora 15-09-2003 01:32 AM

Fertilizer

In article ,
(Frankhartx) wrote:

Unless you're in the Frozen North(tm) like Alaska. Our soils are so cold that
cover crops won't rot when tilled in.

Sell your oil wells to Exxon and move south

Ph*ck Exxon. Didn't you see what they did to our beaches and waters
back in '89? The fisheries *still* haven't recovered and we're still finding
oil on the beaches. (And Orca -- Killer Whale-- pod AB was killed by the oil
in Prince William Sound. It took a few years for all of them to die, but the
pod (herd) is dead now. One of my neighbors is the Orca biologist in the Sound.
If you've never seen Orcas in person, you've really missed something. They
are awesome animals.)

We have no desire to visit or move to the small states. One of us was born
here; the other came to her senses at age 6 and moved here as soon as she
got a drivers' license. But thank you for the thought. I'd rather deal with
gardening in Zone 4+/- than live in the land of the strip mall. I can see
mountains and three glaciers from my window here. What can you see?

Jan

Frankhartx 15-09-2003 08:42 AM

Fertilizer

h*ck Exxon. Didn't you see what they did to our beaches and waters
back in '89? The fisheries *still* haven't recovered and we're still finding
oil on the beaches. (And Orca -- Killer Whale-- pod AB was killed by the oil

And did you ever consider the deep dark secret ignored during the whole furor?
The state of Alaska could have prevented that disaster by requiring pilotage in
that port. Your stupid government has to bear a share of the blame but i bet
you never heard of that aspect which has been well covered up. And I bet you
still don't require pilotage in your ports because to do so would highlight the
states role in the Valdez disaster--so you are ripe for another disaster.

animaux 15-09-2003 02:02 PM

Fertilizer

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:11:23 -0600, Grandpa opined:

Is there any advantage to adding fertilizer, like steer manure or ???,
not the commercial pellet stuff, when I pull out all the dead/dying
flowers & veggies etc & turn the soil this fall or is it best to wait
until spring?

I've started cleaning up my gardens and I do pull the annuals out of the ground.
When I cut back grasses or anything which won't cause an invasive situation, I
lay them on top of the mulch and leave them there.

When I make compost I make rounds in the neighborhood and get bags of leaves. I
add my fresh plant material into that, inoculate that with finished compost and
it gets hot almost immediately. After a few weeks of turning it, I top dress
the soil with the partially finished compost.

It's never been a disadvantage to me.

animaux 15-09-2003 02:02 PM

Fertilizer

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:30:34 -0800, (Jan Flora) opined:

[...]

I haven't bought an ounce of Exxon since. I have seen Orcas and they are
amazing animals. They are the largest predator in the waters. Just
magnificent. If I didn't love warm winters, I'd consider Alaska as a
destination home. Maybe next year we are going to take the cruise up the coast.

It tears my heart out the damage Exxon caused. Drunk captains are no excuse.

animaux 15-09-2003 02:12 PM

Fertilizer

On 15 Sep 2003 07:32:37 GMT, (Frankhartx) opined:

h*ck Exxon. Didn't you see what they did to our beaches and waters
back in '89? The fisheries *still* haven't recovered and we're still finding
oil on the beaches. (And Orca -- Killer Whale-- pod AB was killed by the oil

And did you ever consider the deep dark secret ignored during the whole furor?
The state of Alaska could have prevented that disaster by requiring pilotage in
that port. Your stupid government has to bear a share of the blame but i bet
you never heard of that aspect which has been well covered up. And I bet you
still don't require pilotage in your ports because to do so would highlight the
states role in the Valdez disaster--so you are ripe for another disaster.

What the **** is the difference? The damn captain was drunk. The state
government was wrong, who else can we blame? What's the difference how or why?
The point is, it happened and animal life is still dying from it.

Babberney 15-09-2003 10:03 PM

Fertilizer

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:02:44 GMT, animaux wrote:

[...]

I was saddened by this "accident" but the main reason I no longer buy
gas from x-on is their immediate efforts to avoid taking
responsibility for/cleaning up their mess.

Keith

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit
http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/

Floyd Davidson 16-09-2003 05:22 AM

Fertilizer

animaux wrote:
[...]

Let me add a comment about "Your stupid government has to bear a
share..."

That is true, and one should not think it has been "covered up"
or that Alaskans are unaware of it. That is not the problem, as
such. The problem is that we have the best state government
that oil money can buy. And make no mistake, they *do* buy it!

The more important the election here, the more oil money is
involved. In recent weeks US Senator (by Daddy's appointment)
Lisa Murkowski has been engaging in fund raisers accompanied by
no less that the Vice President of the United States. They may
even visit Alaska someday, but right now Texas is where the
campaign financing money is coming from.

And rest assured that the Governor's huge campaign chest came
from Texas, as do many of the legislators as well as our
Congress Critter, Don Young. (Uncle Ted, US Senator Stevens
doesn't need it to be honest.)

Any time you hear an Alaska political hack say that ANWR is a
wasteland and that it can be drilled without harm just remember
the Exxon Valdez. Remember these folks in the early 60's said
the same thing about Project Chariot (to use an H bomb to make a
harbor at Cape Thompson), in the early 70's they did explode an
H bomb under Amchitka Island (which now is understood to be
about the worst possible place in the whole world to do
something like that). In the mid-70's they said the Exxon
Valdez could never happen. In the mid 80's they wanted to base
Star Wars technology in Alaska. In the late 80's the Exxon
Valdez did happen. And since the mod-90's they've been saying
ANWR wouldn't hurt anything.

"Your stupid government" *is* the oil industry. Those are the
same folks that are going to find WMD in Iraq real soon now too.

Scares the shit outta me...

--
Floyd L. Davidson
http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson

Chris Owens 16-09-2003 01:32 PM

Fertilizer

Grandpa wrote:

Is there any advantage to adding fertilizer, like steer manure or ???,
not the commercial pellet stuff, when I pull out all the dead/dying
flowers & veggies etc & turn the soil this fall or is it best to wait
until spring?

If you till it in this fall, it will have degraded by spring, and
you'll have ideal planting conditions. BTW, if you want, you can
just till under the other stuff, too.

Chris Owens