GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When should I mow down blk eyed susans? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/43199-when-should-i-mow-down-blk-eyed-susans.html)

Fred Rick 16-09-2003 03:42 PM

When should I mow down blk eyed susans?

Chris Owens 17-09-2003 01:32 AM

When should I mow down blk eyed susans?

Fred Rick wrote:

When should I mow down blk eyed susans?

When they look tatty enough that you can't stand them anymore, or
after the foilage dies back in fall, whichever occurs first.
BTW, I have fround with most of my 'daisy'-types . . . shastas,
rudbeckias, etc., that, if I mow them down right after the first
flush of bloom fades, I'll typically get a second flush in very
late summer or early fall.

Chris Owens

Siberian Husky 18-09-2003 06:02 PM

Chris Owens wrote in message ...
Fred Rick wrote:

When should I mow down blk eyed susans?

When they look tatty enough that you can't stand them anymore, or
after the foilage dies back in fall, whichever occurs first.
BTW, I have fround with most of my 'daisy'-types . . . shastas,
rudbeckias, etc., that, if I mow them down right after the first
flush of bloom fades, I'll typically get a second flush in very
late summer or early fall.

I just realized Black Eyed Susans are the state flower for Maryland in
the U.S. I assume that means this flower grows well in Maryland (even
without much human attention). What did Maryland residents do for
their climate?

Siberian Husky 22-09-2003 05:32 PM

(Siberian Husky) wrote in message . com...
Chris Owens wrote in message ...
When they look tatty enough that you can't stand them anymore, or
after the foilage dies back in fall, whichever occurs first.
BTW, I have fround with most of my 'daisy'-types . . . shastas,
rudbeckias, etc., that, if I mow them down right after the first
flush of bloom fades, I'll typically get a second flush in very
late summer or early fall.

I just realized Black Eyed Susans are the state flower for Maryland in
the U.S. I assume that means this flower grows well in Maryland (even
without much human attention). What did Maryland residents do for
their climate?

Or maybe I am wrong that even though Black Eyed Susan is Maryland
state flower, it still requires some minimal human intervention to
grow well?

Robert Grumbine 24-09-2003 10:42 PM

When should I mow down blk eyed susans?

In article ,
Siberian Husky wrote:
[...]

Mine seem happy with the 'throw seed heads in the general direction
of the ground and leave alone' method.

I do sometimes deadhead them, but my R. hirta and R. fulgida
don't seem to care one way or the other. Maybe I haven't deadheaded
them promptly enough.

--
Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much