Old 19-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Isabel

Isabel has finally passed.

Damage from high winds, heavy rain and flooding has been considerable but
fortunately there has been minimal loss of life.

Considering what the eastern US has endured in recent years, Isabel wasn't
anything that we couldn't handle.

Bizzycat wrote in message
Hi there everybody - I have not been paying attention much of late to the
Newsgroup - very busy indeed - however we are watching SKY who are

covering
Isobel live - very good luck to you all - we are thinking of you -
love from Johannesburg

Bizzycat = Maryanne

Old 19-09-2003, 10:42 PM
DavesVideo

She passed thru here in the middle of the night with lots of wind and
rain. I had moved our cars so they weren't under the tree with dead limbs, so
instead, a 20 foot apple tree uprooted on top of one car. A few scratches but
no real damage and I spent 3 hours with a chain saw freeing the car. Also lost
a big
24" diameter black walnut that is down by the river. That one will take ages to
cut up, but it will be enough fire wood for 3 years.
Some of our neighbors didn't fare as well and one has a big tree sticking
into their house. But I guess we are lucky, supposably the storm had lost most
of it's steam by the time it got here.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 19-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

So where were you in the path of Isabel, Danger Dave? Where is your HERE?

Your suburban yuppie problems were nothing compared to those who's houses
were destroyed, flooded out or who's cars and/or boats were swept away in
the floods that followed and continue.

At least you'll have plenty of firewood to last you through the winter or
two.

Old 20-09-2003, 12:03 AM
DavesVideo

Cereoid-UR1asks:

So where were you in the path of Isabel, Danger Dave? Where is your HERE?

Here is West Virginia panhandle. like I said, it was pretty much diminished
by the time it got here and only one neighbor had serious house damage.

Old 20-09-2003, 01:22 PM
David J Bockman

Unfortunately 24" isn't large enough to interest a mill... it would yield
very little heartwood after rough milling. This doesn't preclude a home
woodworking enthusiast from using it, of course...

Dave

"Ed Schmitt" wrote in message
In article ,
(DavesVideo) wrote:

[...]

Black Walnut will burn, but its value is in the wood. Can you have it
cut into saw boards, and if you don't want to make anything from it, you
can sell the wood at a good price.

Ed

Old 21-09-2003, 07:42 PM
DavesVideo

Dave said:

Unfortunately 24" isn't large enough to interest a mill... it would yield
very little heartwood after rough milling. This doesn't preclude a home
woodworking enthusiast from using it,

Then times sure have changed. My father ran a lumber mill and we cut mostly
maple, oak and cherry. Most logs were fron 24" to 36" but sometimes a good
straight piece that was less than 24". I believe that we sawed then as small as
18" and many times the smaller ones had more firm centers than the old and
large ones.
Anyhow, I will see if I can find anyone interested in my downed black
walnut. For years I have heard stories that a black walnut is very valuable and
an equal nuumber about not being able to find anyone willing to remove it for
the lumber.

Old 28-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:18:26 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Bizzycat wrote

Hi there everybody - I have not been paying attention much of late to the
Newsgroup - very busy indeed - however we are watching SKY who are

covering
Isobel live - very good luck to you all - we are thinking of you -
love from Johannesburg

Isabel has finally passed.

Damage from high winds, heavy rain and flooding has been considerable but
fortunately there has been minimal loss of life.

Considering what the eastern US has endured in recent years, Isabel wasn't
anything that we couldn't handle.

Speak for yourself, Cereoid. I just got (suburban) power back after 9+
days in the dark. A 50' black walnut is lying on the roof in back, and
several more down. The city (Hampton, VA) picturesquely estimates the
debris to be hauled away is enough to fill 55 football fields 9' deep.
Cost estimates for the Tidewater area are already over $1B. Not as bad
as Andrew in FL, but not exactly a picnic.

Old 28-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Salty Thumb

Frogleg wrote in
:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:18:26 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Bizzycat wrote

[...]

Power came back on yesterday evening for me, after being out since
morning on the 18th. Neighbor's (weak fast growing) tree wiped out their
fence and a couple of my tomatoes. Some other people in the city got
flattened, so I can't really complain.

Here we should point out that Frogleg is probably talking about a 50'
walnut tree and not some gigantic walnut seed (or strawberry ... umm
cultivar nudge).

- S
Old 29-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Frogleg

Frogleg wrote

wrote:

[...]

^_^ Imagine the tree that produced a 50' walnut! No, it's a tree. All
the ones down and/or leaning horribly are black walnut...trees. The
80' pine is straight and tall, and the TV satellite dish nailed to the
roof is fine, too. I'm luckier than many. Phone wire is swinging about
3' off the ground, but phone works (after 3-day outage). No flooding
hereabouts. Just many, *many* big trees down. Anyone in the firewood
business should be in hog heaven with streets piled high in logs.

[IMG] code is On

Checking in - Isabel FBCS Ponds 24 04-10-2003 05:06 AM
OT--Isabel & Sinus Problems Shiva Roses 2 24-09-2003 10:02 PM
OT- Isabel Reka Orchids 17 21-09-2003 07:22 PM
Checking in - Isabel FBCS Ponds 1 20-09-2003 12:26 AM
Hurricane Isabel's possible path Anne Lurie Ponds 30 19-09-2003 11:38 PM