Old 22-09-2003, 04:02 AM
Mike Prager

Default Oak recovery

A live oak (Quercus virginiana) I planted about 3 yrs ago, now
about 7ft (2m) tall, was not completely uprooted, but slanted
to about 45 degrees, by Hurricane Isabel. I've reset and
staked the tree. I also gave it some superphosphate and
water. What else should I do? We have relatively warm
winters (at least until Jan 1 or so). Would it be helpful to
give it a little nitrogen, now or later? Or not until spring?

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove symbols from email address to reply.)
Old 22-09-2003, 01:02 PM
David J Bockman

Fertilizing a weak or damaged tree is never a good idea, in my opinion. If
the soil was fine to begin with (not lacking in NPK), if it were my tree the
most I would do now is lay down composted manure, mulch, and let it recover.

Dave

Old 22-09-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

I would not fertilize a stressed tree, or any plant for that matter, but since
you already have, and super phosphate is really toxic (IMO IMO IMO) to the soil,
I would say to "right" the tree and water it when dry. During the winter months
it should recover. Do not fertilize it any more.

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 02:59:48 GMT, Mike Prager §§mprager@§alum.§mit.§edu
opined:

Old 22-09-2003, 05:32 PM
J. Del Col

Mike Prager §§mprager@§alum.§mit.§edu wrote in message . ..
A live oak (Quercus virginiana) I planted about 3 yrs ago, now
about 7ft (2m) tall, was not completely uprooted, but slanted
to about 45 degrees, by Hurricane Isabel. I've reset and
staked the tree. I also gave it some superphosphate and
water. What else should I do? We have relatively warm
winters (at least until Jan 1 or so). Would it be helpful to
give it a little nitrogen, now or later? Or not until spring?

The only thing you did wrong was to fertilize it. You should have
waited until it resetablished itself.

Don't fertilize it until spring. It needs to redevelop its roots.

J. Del Col
Old 23-09-2003, 03:06 AM
Marsha

Well one problem solved
"Marsha" wrote in message
.. .
Sorry, not answering you just seeing if I can reply to te group as I'm not
able to post new message, again please accept my apology
"Mike Prager" §kill-spam§mprager@§alum.§mit.§edu wrote in message
On 22 Sep 2003 09:25:30 -0700, (J. Del
Col) wrote:

The only thing you did wrong was to fertilize it. You should have
waited until it resetablished itself.

Don't fertilize it until spring. It needs to redevelop its roots.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I thought phosphorus was
needed for, and would encourage, root formation. Our soil is
sandy and poor. Looks like the weight of the opinion so far
is against it, though.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

[IMG] code is On

Recovery from Heron Attack??? Gary Ponds 26 23-05-2004 06:03 PM
Need recovery! alabbe0405 Orchids 3 24-04-2004 08:02 PM
Ailing Masdevallia - any hope of recovery? Ben Durbin Orchids 4 10-11-2003 12:32 PM
Hurricane Recovery Help Please - I'm stumped royroy Gardening 2 28-09-2003 06:02 AM
amazing recovery Ted Byers Orchids 2 21-03-2003 12:56 PM