Old 22-09-2003, 07:02 PM
John

Default Suggestion for small tree with purple or red foliage?

Hi,

Just lost a flowering plum tree thanks to hurricane Isabel in north
central Maryland. I would like to replace it with a small tree that
has purple or red foliage throughout the year until it drops its
leaves in fall or when it goes dormant.

In the very little research I've done, the Crimson King (King Crimson)
maple tree has the right color but is too large and would overwhelm
the area as it matures. A red Japanese maple (dwarf) might be an
alternative, but I understand it too has relatively shallow roots and
grows slowly, and is not very wind tolerant.

Granted, hurricanes are not prevalent in central Maryland, but my area
gets strong winds during summer thunderstorms, etc.

Any suggestions?
Old 22-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Leslie

"John" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Just lost a flowering plum tree thanks to hurricane Isabel in north
central Maryland. I would like to replace it with a small tree that
has purple or red foliage throughout the year until it drops its
leaves in fall or when it goes dormant.

In the very little research I've done, the Crimson King (King Crimson)
maple tree has the right color but is too large and would overwhelm
the area as it matures. A red Japanese maple (dwarf) might be an
alternative, but I understand it too has relatively shallow roots and
grows slowly, and is not very wind tolerant.

Granted, hurricanes are not prevalent in central Maryland, but my area
gets strong winds during summer thunderstorms, etc.

Any suggestions?

I have a mock crabapple tree that has red leaves all summer long. I don't
know the scientific name for it, but you should be able to find a picture.
It's grown rather slowly, but is a really nice size (about 8 feet tall) now
after 8 years or so. The roots appear deeper than my maple, at least I can't
see them bulging up. :-)

I hope you didn't get any more damage than that from Isabel.

Leslie

Old 23-09-2003, 03:12 AM
B & J

"John" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Just lost a flowering plum tree thanks to hurricane Isabel in north
central Maryland. I would like to replace it with a small tree that
has purple or red foliage throughout the year until it drops its
leaves in fall or when it goes dormant.

In the very little research I've done, the Crimson King (King Crimson)
maple tree has the right color but is too large and would overwhelm
the area as it matures. A red Japanese maple (dwarf) might be an
alternative, but I understand it too has relatively shallow roots and
grows slowly, and is not very wind tolerant.

Granted, hurricanes are not prevalent in central Maryland, but my area
gets strong winds during summer thunderstorms, etc.

Any suggestions?

How about Canada Red Chokecherry: Prunis virginiana 'Canada Red'

http://www.countrygardensgreenhouse.com/TREE%20LIST.htm

or

Redbud Forest Pansy

http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/16148/

Both have spring flowers and beautiful foliage although Forest Pansy's
foliage begins to turn a greenish bronze if it gets too much sun. It's
comparable to a red Japanese maple in that respect, which is another
suggestion.

John

Old 23-09-2003, 08:14 AM
gregpresley

you might also consider a cistina (sp. maybe sistina or cystina) plum - a
deep reddish-purpled leaved variety - or a purple smoke tree....