Old 23-09-2003, 06:42 PM
zxcvbob

Default Weed 'n' Feed vs. pets

Our 5 1/2 y.o. dog has been diagnosed with lymphoma. In doing research
on the topic, I found that there is a strong statistical relationship
between 2,4-d herbicide and lymphatic disease in pets -- I can't
remember if it was 100% or 300% increase in the occurrence rate in
breeds of dogs with a genetic susceptibility to lymphoma when their
lawns were treated with 2,4-d. Weed 'n' feed fertilizers contain rather
high amounts of 2,4-d. I don't use weed 'n' feed fertilizers and I
never have; I don't believe in using pesticides indiscriminately.
I do use 2,4-d to spot treat weeds in the front yard, but Dog never goes
in the front yard. I've always pulled weeds in the back yard (where Dog
lives), or just mow over them, so my conscience is clear on the matter.
But I thought I needed to warn folks about what I found because it
might prevent a tragedy for one of y'all. I never knew about this
specific risk.

Please don't turn this into a rant session about RoundUp. Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 24-09-2003, 03:27 AM
zxcvbob

Journal of the National Cancer Institute:
Hayes, H. M., R. E. Tarone, K. P. Cantor, C. R. Jessen, D. M. McCurnin, and
R. C. Richardson. 1991. Case-control study of canine malignant lymphoma:
positive association with dog owners use of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid
herbicides. JNCI, 83: 1226-1231.

However, in looking up the reference again to answer your question, I see
that the validity of the Hayes study is much debated, and several web sites
say it has been "debunked".

Best regards,
Bob

Old 24-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

"Weed 'n' Feed" makes a lousy alternative to pets.

So when are you going to publish the findings to your study?

Remember that there is something called "false cause" in logic.