Old 24-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Jim Caldwell

Default Good source for Perlite?

I need lots of Perlite (Pearlite) for starting Plumeria cuttings. Problem
is, at the local nursery I had to pay $5.00 for an 8-quart bag of the stuff.
That is maybe at most enough for four 1 gal pots. It being light as a
feather (hence not too expensive to ship), I am thinking maybe some internet
supplier has it for a lot less. I did a search on "gardening supplies
perlite" but did not find an internet store with perlite.

Old 24-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Jan Flora

In article , "Jim Caldwell"
wrote:

I need lots of Perlite (Pearlite) for starting Plumeria cuttings. Problem
is, at the local nursery I had to pay $5.00 for an 8-quart bag of the stuff.
That is maybe at most enough for four 1 gal pots. It being light as a
feather (hence not too expensive to ship), I am thinking maybe some internet
supplier has it for a lot less. I did a search on "gardening supplies
perlite" but did not find an internet store with perlite.

Is there a nursery in your area where the commercial nurserymen
shop? My mom was a commercial grower and she shopped for supplies
like that at a place that did wholesale and retail sales, but that was in
San Francisco. I think you need to find a place that does wholesale sales,
to find perlite in larger quantities, for a reasonable price. Look in your
yellow pages.

Jan
Old 25-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Bill G

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
In article , "Jim Caldwell"
wrote:
http://www.perlite.com/ This one is on the west coast but should be able

to give other names Bill G

Old 25-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Bill Ranseen

In article , "Jim
Caldwell" wrote:

I need lots of Perlite (Pearlite) for starting Plumeria cuttings. Problem
is, at the local nursery I had to pay $5.00 for an 8-quart bag of the
stuff.
That is maybe at most enough for four 1 gal pots. It being light as a
feather (hence not too expensive to ship), I am thinking maybe some
internet
supplier has it for a lot less. I did a search on "gardening supplies
perlite" but did not find an internet store with perlite.

I buy perlite in 4 cu.ft. bags for under $15 apiece, and many nurseries
around here carry these (check around, many nurseries do what you're
proposing to and can't be bothered buying dinky hobby bags). For an
internet supplier try www.groworganic.com (Peaceful Valley Farm Supply),
but you'll probably pay at least as much for shipping as for the perlite
itself.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:52 AM
Registered User

Location: nowra, australia

[quote]Originally posted by Jim Caldwell
[b]I need lots of Perlite (Pearlite) for starting Plumeria cuttings. QUOTE]

Hi jim
plumeria will grow in just normal soil, in fact they even grow in crappy soil!
perhaps an alternative to perlite would be charcoal or simply use sand.
perlite allows for good drainage, so anything cheaper that will allow drainage will work. plumeria do not like being waterlogged.
good luck
Renay