GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Winterizing Strawberry Pots? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/44087-winterizing-strawberry-pots.html)

SCiani 26-09-2003 01:12 AM

Winterizing Strawberry Pots?

On a lark this year, I planted Everbearing strawberry plant in some strawberry
pots. I had too many plants, so the remainder went into a large plastic pot.

Now I haven't a clue as to how to get them to winter over. We're in Chicago
and I know I can't expect containerized plants or even the pots to survive the
winter. How do container gardeners winterize perennials? Would an unheated
garage work OK? Or will I just have to plan on deconstruction?

Salty Thumb 02-10-2003 01:32 AM

Winterizing Strawberry Pots?

izmo (SCiani) wrote in
:

On a lark this year, I planted Everbearing strawberry plant in some
strawberry pots. I had too many plants, so the remainder went into a
large plastic pot.

Now I haven't a clue as to how to get them to winter over. We're in
Chicago and I know I can't expect containerized plants or even the
pots to survive the winter. How do container gardeners winterize
perennials? Would an unheated garage work OK? Or will I just have to
plan on deconstruction?

I was hoping some green thumbs would have responded by now with an answer,
but personally, I think it would be enough just to put them somewhere the
temp is always above freezing.

I remember reading some varieties of strawberries stop producing after 2
years, but I could be hallucinating.

- S