Old 27-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Mogie

Default pee in the pile

Heard at my composting class that human urine is good for the compost pile.

Old 27-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Merl Turkin

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:42:58 -0400, Mogie wrote:

Heard at my composting class that human urine is good for the compost
pile.

Urine is 95% water, 2.5% Urea and the rest is stuff you get in a normal
diet. Healthy urine that is. As a kid you are brainwashed into thinking
"pee pee nasty", "pee pee bad", it's total nonsense if you are healthy.
Old 27-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Caca, poo poo, pee pee to you too!!!

Just how many people are considered to be healthy nowadays, Merkle Turkle?

How much uric acid is good for the compost pile?

Is the urine still 95% water if you've been out drinking alcoholic beverages
and abusing controlled substances all night?

If you bladder is full, you might not make it all the way to the compost
pile!!!

If you really want to go organic, why not fart on your plants as an
all-natural insecticide?

Old 27-09-2003, 05:02 PM
JNJ

Heard at my composting class that human urine is good for the compost
pile.

Maybe if it were pure, but nowadays....

There are a variety of chemicals in a person's urine that would probably not
do well in a compost pile, especially if that person were on medications
(both prescribed and, ahem, "social" medications or libations). Things such
as fluoride (for example) will readily pass into urine, and unless you
grow/raise your own foods there's no telling what chemicals are in the foods
you eat and subsequently in you.

That being said, urine has been used for centuries as a form of fertilizer
(as has untreated excreta, both human and otherwise) -- in many countries it
still is used as such. AFAIK, this is for it's nitrogen content. It's also
used in medicinal and industrial applications.

Either way, I don't think I'd use it on my compost pile -- in this case, it
would be just as easy to pick up a bag of nitrogen to sprinkle over the
pile.

James

Old 27-09-2003, 06:42 PM

RIGHT... and so it is. That is how polio and many other diseases including some of
the hepatitis viruses get passed around. Ingrid

Merl Turkin wrote:
As a kid you are brainwashed into thinking
"pee pee nasty", "pee pee bad", it's total nonsense if you are healthy.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 28-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Merl Turkin

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:40:27 -0400, dr-solo wrote:

RIGHT... and so it is. That is how polio and many other diseases
including some of the hepatitis viruses get passed around. Ingrid

We're talking about using your OWN not other people's for starters.

Don't spread FUD.
Old 28-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Mogie

This info came from the master gardener's. Would think they know what they
were talking about. Of course you don't line up strangers and have them pee
in your compost pile. Of course you don't pee in the compost if you have
AIDS either. Come on.

Old 28-09-2003, 05:44 AM
Grandpa

Merl Turkin wrote:

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:42:58 -0400, Mogie wrote:

Heard at my composting class that human urine is good for the compost
pile.

Urine is 95% water, 2.5% Urea and the rest is stuff you get in a normal
diet. Healthy urine that is. As a kid you are brainwashed into thinking
"pee pee nasty", "pee pee bad", it's total nonsense if you are healthy.

Honset Your Honor, I was not exposing myself. I was giving my compost
pile a healthy golden shower.

Old 28-09-2003, 06:42 AM
JNJ

This info came from the master gardener's. Would think they know what they
were talking about.

That's a title one obtains primarily through volunteer work and a measure of
training, all the result of a government based program. They are no more
qualified nor expert than any of a number of other gardeners and they are
certainly not qualified as chemists or horticulturists simply because they
have completed an MG program. Programs are state sponsored and some are
absolutely worthless while others are great. You'll find that many of the
folks on this newsgroup are more experienced and knowledgeable than the
average MG.

Of course you don't line up strangers and have them pee
in your compost pile.

I would think not. Like I said in my post -- urine has been used for
centuries in a similar manner, however in days gone by there were not as
many chemicals in it so it was more "pure". Nowadays I wouldn't do it due
to the variety of chemicals and such in what we consume (healthy or
otherwise).

Compost piles do just fine on their own -- if you want to add the same
effect, just sprinkle some nitrogen and over it and you'll be fine. (Urine
also contains phosphate,calcium, and various other minerals for that matter
although I'd think it's the nitrogen you're after.)

Hey -- if you REALLY want to get gung ho about it, go get a composting
toilet or a septic system installed and go the whole nine yards. Ever
notice how green the grass is around a septic system's leach field?

Of course you don't pee in the compost if you have
AIDS either. Come on.

BTW, being HIV positive and urinating on the pile would be little different
than someone not infected doing the same.

James

Old 28-09-2003, 08:02 AM
no one of importance

"JNJ" wrote in message
news
BTW, being HIV positive and urinating on the pile would be little
different
than someone not infected doing the same.

James

Nope, it wouldn't be "little different", it would be NO different. The
virus doesn't live in air.

Philip

Old 28-09-2003, 10:02 AM
David Hill

".......... RIGHT... and so it is. That is how polio and many other
diseases including some of the hepatitis viruses get passed around. Ingrid
...........2

What a load of Garbage............I think this really is someone taking the
****.......

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 28-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Of course its a load of garbage...........its the compost pile!!!

If you manage to get some vermin to take residence there, you can share all
kinds of diseases with your neighbors!!! Wouldn't that be fun?!!!!!

Old 28-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Roy

On 27 Sep 2003 11:31:33 GMT, Merl Turkin wrote:

x-On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:42:58 -0400, Mogie wrote:
x-
x- Heard at my composting class that human urine is good for the compost
x- pile.
x-
x-
x-Urine is 95% water, 2.5% Urea and the rest is stuff you get in a normal
x-diet. Healthy urine that is. As a kid you are brainwashed into thinking
x-"pee pee nasty", "pee pee bad", it's total nonsense if you are healthy.

AIDS is not transmittable in urine. Why not go all out and do like
they do in a lot of foreign countries, and justuse all of the waste
products, just pump that septic tank right out on the lawn and garden
area.

When I was in Korea, we had a row of porta potties set up along the
military base perimeter fence line. There was perhaps 20 of them, and
every day old pappa san would come in and pumpout these porta potties,
and go outside the fence to his rice paddy and crop area and literally
pump all this waste onto his crops. He had some mighty fine looking
crops, however I would certainly not eat them. Its common for 3rd
world countries to use human waste for fertilizer. Even that clown
Jerry Baker the master of all master gardeners uses urine in his so
called tonics.......
--
Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address
http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com

Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.
Regards
Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye
Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever.
Remove nospam from email address
Old 28-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Of course, none of YOUR friends could possibly have AIDS.

They would all come out and tell everyone if they had the dreaded disease,
just like Rock Hudson and Liberace did!!!!

It is even more humorous that your source of info is America's #1 master of
masturbating gardeners, Jerry Baker himself. That mercenary "paragon of
virtue" wouldn't be giving out bogus advice, would he?

What's next? Advising that semen is good fertilizer for gymnosperms?

Old 28-09-2003, 03:42 PM

He was making a general statement about how absurd it was to pass "do not urinate
everywhere" laws. I am saying there were very good reasons to pass these laws. I
still yell at people when I see them hark and gob onto the sidewalks. That is how to
spread TB. As for YOUR OWN pile to pee in, if there is run off into the sewers,
which at least in Milwaukee runs off into the lake where we get our water from.... we
had cows urinating in the cattle yards that lead to cryptosporidia into the water
supply making 500,000 people sick. Our water treatment is now supposed to take care
of the crypto, but viruses can be even harder to kill. It is not a minor thing. It
is the viruses and bacteria we dont know about that are waiting in the wings, altho
a virus like Hanta is a pretty good indicator. It is aquired from sweeping up mouse
droppings. Ingrid

Merl Turkin wrote:
We're talking about using your OWN not other people's for starters.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[IMG] code is On

To pee or not to pee? Muddymike United Kingdom 131 25-11-2009 01:22 PM
vegies and pee James Edible Gardening 17 05-10-2006 08:29 PM
15' CecileBruner Tee-Pee Quest. [email protected] Roses 2 09-05-2005 07:39 PM
Landscape cloth and doggie pee!! Will it smell? MHF Lawns 3 30-07-2003 03:23 AM
You know what? Dogs pee there as well, that corner always stinks. Hussein M. United Kingdom 0 27-04-2003 05:56 AM