Old 27-09-2003, 04:02 PM
royroy

Default Hurricane Recovery Help Please - I'm stumped

This is probably not the 100% best place to post this, but y'all have
been a help in the past and I just know that, if the information is
not readily available, someone will tell me where to go (in a nice
way)
I live in Virginia Beach. Think of an L-shaped house. The foot of
the L is the family room. Right in that inside corner of the L there
used to be a 36' diameter 75' tall oak tree. It rolled about 25
degrees onto the family room. The tree has since been removed and the
room sealed up. The "upside" of the stump has lifted my deck. I have
a neighbor who just by chance runs a business specializing in the
difficult stump grinding. So, we can solve that problem.
The problem is that there is a basement under the main part of the
house (the family room is on a slab) at that corner. I'm trying to
reduce/eliminate any water problem from the disturbed soil as the
basement was pretty much dry before this,
Seems to be that there is some kind of product/soil that one can mix
with soil which expands as when it gets wet amd plugs leaks. Saw it
used to stop seapage thru an earthen dam once.
I know the option exists to completely remove the stump, excavate
besides the basement wall, treat it and backfill. That is a last
resort, because the insurance company doesn't do stumps.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Roy

The

Old 28-09-2003, 06:32 AM
Elizabeth

"royroy" wrote in message
[...]

I think the name of the product is bentonite clay. Don't know how it would
work in this application, but maybe the name will give you more search
options. Sounds like a bummer of a situation though. Hope it all works out
ok for you.

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

Old 28-09-2003, 07:02 AM
JNJ

This query would be better posted over in alt.home.repair.

Simply disturbing soil will not bring about a leak in a basement -- damage
to the wall, changes in water flows, hydrostatic pressure, and so forth are
all likely culprits.

Your first step here is to determine just what the cause of the water
infiltration might be -- your post did not have much in the way of details
about the problem area, so it's tough to really tell. Once you have
determined how the water's getting in, then you can select the right
solution.

Cement block foundations can use things like DryLok to seal seapage off,
while others (as well as block based setups) can use products like SaniTred
to totally water proof the walls (supposedly -- never tried it). There is a
type of cement that will expand as it dries, typically sealing cracked areas
that are leaking. Both DryLok as well as expanding cement are available at
most large home improvement stores (such as Home Depot and Lowes).

Once a basement starts to leak, the problem will only get worse if the right
solution is not put in place early on -- I speak from experience on that
one, as we're battling a major problem in our basement (stone foundation)
that weren't so bad when it first started.

Take it by the numbers -- figure out exactly where the problem is and THEN
devise your solution.

James

[IMG] code is On

What Kind of Tree is This? Stumped. [email protected] Gardening 4 27-07-2008 03:36 PM
Oak recovery Mike Prager Gardening 6 23-09-2003 04:06 AM
stumped Valkyrie Gardening 9 02-04-2003 08:56 AM
amazing recovery Ted Byers Orchids 2 21-03-2003 01:56 PM