GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The name of Azalea is Coral Bells (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/44212-name-azalea-coral-bells.html)

Wishy13764 27-09-2003 07:42 PM

The name of Azalea is Coral Bells

Anyone know of this variety of azaleas? Its the hardy type in a 10" container
facing southwest. I try to keep most of it in the shade of a yew shrub. It gave
me new growth this summer and was wondering if I would get any blook this fall.
If not, how should I treat it? Fertilize, bring indoors for the winter?

paghat 27-09-2003 10:02 PM

The name of Azalea is Coral Bells

In article ,
(Wishy13764) wrote:

Anyone know of this variety of azaleas?

"Coral Bells" is a Kurume evergreen dwarf azalea, one of the first
varieties ever introduced from Japan to the United States.

Its the hardy type in a 10" container
facing southwest. I try to keep most of it in the shade of a yew shrub.

It gave
me new growth this summer and was wondering if I would get any blook

this fall.
If not, how should I treat it? Fertilize, bring indoors for the winter?

Most of this was already answered for you the first time you asked -- if
you check your original query you'll see good stuff on fertilizing from
Stephen. Essentially you shouldn't fertilize until late winter or early
spring, then optionally a second time after it stops blooming, probably
at the end of April. It should be an low-nitrogen fertilizer that will
say on the box that it is acidic for evergreens or for rhododendrons &
camellias.

Also as already answered, it blooms once a year, in spring. Long bloom
times & rebloom is NOT one the bonuses of azaleas & rhodies.

A ten inch pot is too small for an azalea. It will never be very tall
(takes years & years to reach two feet of hieght), but can spread rather
more swiftly to three or four feet wide. It would require at minimum a
two-foot-wide shallow pot, but would do best if you could put it in the
ground.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/

Wishy13764 28-09-2003 07:12 PM

The name of Azalea is Coral Bells

Most of this was already answered for you the first time you asked -- if
you check your original query you'll see good stuff on fertilizing from
Stephen. Essentially you shouldn't fertilize until late winter or early
spring, then optionally a second time after it stops blooming, probably
at the end of April. It should be an low-nitrogen fertilizer that will
say on the box that it is acidic for evergreens or for rhododendrons &
camellias.

True, but if you recall in my first post, I did not know the name of the plant,
so that is why I entered in the subject title as it is, hopeing someone like
yourself, would be more enlighten of what plant we were actually talking about.