GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Any free shed plans available for download? PDF? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/44448-any-free-shed-plans-available-download-pdf.html)

Rob B 01-10-2003 05:22 AM

Any free shed plans available for download? PDF?

Does anyone know of any place I can download free plans for a small
outhouse like garden shed like the one available at:
http://www.greatplans.com/c163923p16284153.2.html

I've seen smaller plans available for a few dollars, but I'm thinking
there has to be something out there for free download in a PDF file or
something. If anyone has anything I would appreciate it. Thanks,

Rob

-- pelirojaroja 01-10-2003 01:22 PM

Any free shed plans available for download? PDF?

We just finished building our own shed from scratch. Although it was
a bit bigger than what you are looking for (12X20 feet, hip-roof, with
5-ft. sidewalls), we got the plans for free when we bought the lumber.
(This was from a local "Carter Lumber" store, but most lumber stores
offer this.)

Anyway, there were several plans to choose from, including the size
you are talking about. Most internet plans will be very sketchy --
they want you to pay to download them. With my research, I never saw
any detailed plans offered for free download.

If you will have to buy the lumber anyway, getting the plans at no
charge saves a little. The lumber store lets you examine all the
plans in the store to find what you want.

I can attest to saving money building a shed oneself, though, since we
saved over $4500 with building our shed compared to buying a pre-built
one of similar size. Now I can spend some of that money on the
planting beds that will go around it -- whoo-hoo!

-- pelirojaroja

Salty Thumb 02-10-2003 12:32 AM

Any free shed plans available for download? PDF?

(-- pelirojaroja) wrote in
om:

[...]

Wow, saved $4500, does that shed have indoor plumbing?

I was musing over building a shed last year. My back of the envelope
calculations last year showed that a 12'x12' (not quite as big as yours,
doesn't need permit in this city) would cost about the same a pre-made
one. (24"OC framing $2/2x4x8, need about 36 = $72, 16 sheets 4x8 OSB
for siding @$7 each = $112, about $200 for just the rough structure). I
know it's like comparing tomatoes to eggplants, but just to give an idea.

I could have sworn I saw a shed plan on the Lowes web site. Too lazy to
check, not too lazy mouth off about. Harbor Freight had a shed plans
book for like $7 or you could go the library, they probably have some
books on residential framing. It's not rocket science (at least for
small sheds). That shed you have link to is tiny. You could probably
duplicate it after reading a framing book and examining the picture.

-- S

-- pelirojaroja

. com...

John Bachman 02-10-2003 01:14 PM

Any free shed plans available for download? PDF?

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 22:25:19 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

(-- pelirojaroja) wrote in
. com:

[...]

My prebuilt 12 X 16 with two lofts, two doors and a window cost $3,200
installed. It would be hard to save $4,500 on that!

However, I have seen plans at Home Depot. Get down there and check it
out. But make sure that you really know what a prebuilt costs.

John

-- pelirojaroja 03-10-2003 03:42 AM

Any free shed plans available for download? PDF?

Maybe cost depends on the area of the country, both for prebuilt and
DIY material cost. For us, the materials for the 12x20 were about
$1600 (lumber, hardware, steel double doors, 2 windows, a couple small
skylights, etc.) total. We upgraded the shingles to 30-yr., too, for
that price. A prebuilt shed that size, with those features, was over
$6000 here, priced both locally and with the big chains. (It's a cool
shed -- more for workshop than just storage)

The project sure was a lot of work -- just my husband and myself, and
the occasional afternoon friend. Fortunately, he's a construction
project manager, so he (at least) knew what he was doing. I was the
ladder-holder and hammer-fetcher. :-) But I learned a lot. He says
he'll let me build the next one.

-- peliroja-roja