GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When is you last lawn cutting of the season? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/44563-when-you-last-lawn-cutting-season.html)

Chris H 02-10-2003 02:22 PM

When is you last lawn cutting of the season?

Hello,
My wife and I recently purchased our first home. This past summer
was my first attempt at lawn care and unfortunatley I had to learn a
few lessons the hard way. Here is my question: When should I make my
last cut of the season? We live in Maryland and just last nite got the
first frost. I would like to begin winterizing my equiptment, but not
until I have made the last cut. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks!

Frank Logullo 02-10-2003 06:32 PM

"Chris H" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
My wife and I recently purchased our first home. This past summer
was my first attempt at lawn care and unfortunatley I had to learn a
few lessons the hard way. Here is my question: When should I make my
last cut of the season? We live in Maryland and just last nite got the
first frost. I would like to begin winterizing my equiptment, but not
until I have made the last cut. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks!

Let the grass decide for you. I'm in Northern DE and expect to cut grass
through October into November. Frost will not stop the grass from growing.
Frank

David Hill 02-10-2003 10:02 PM

When is you last lawn cutting of the season?

Cut it when it's getting longer than you want it, but don't cut if there is
frost or likely to be frost for a couple of days after cutting

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

animaux 03-10-2003 02:42 PM

When is you last lawn cutting of the season?

On 2 Oct 2003 06:21:27 -0700, (Chris H) opined:

Hello,
My wife and I recently purchased our first home. This past summer
was my first attempt at lawn care and unfortunatley I had to learn a
few lessons the hard way. Here is my question: When should I make my
last cut of the season? We live in Maryland and just last nite got the
first frost. I would like to begin winterizing my equiptment, but not
until I have made the last cut. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks!

The next minute it's dry, cut it to about 3-4 inches and goodnight. Of course,
you should have fertilized about a month ago with a slow release fertilizer.
Preferably one which has organic matter as the filler, not some unknown
synthetic composition.

Phisherman 03-10-2003 06:02 PM

wrote:

Hello,
My wife and I recently purchased our first home. This past summer
was my first attempt at lawn care and unfortunatley I had to learn a
few lessons the hard way. Here is my question: When should I make my
last cut of the season? We live in Maryland and just last nite got the
first frost. I would like to begin winterizing my equiptment, but not
until I have made the last cut. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks!

We don't know when the last mowing will happen--this can be anytime
from Ocotber to Decemeber. It does't hurt to start treating the
gasoline with stabilizer.

Frogleg 04-10-2003 11:32 AM

When is you last lawn cutting of the season?

On 2 Oct 2003 06:21:27 -0700, (Chris H) opined:

My wife and I recently purchased our first home. This past summer
was my first attempt at lawn care and unfortunatley I had to learn a
few lessons the hard way. Here is my question: When should I make my
last cut of the season? We live in Maryland and just last nite got the
first frost. I would like to begin winterizing my equiptment, but not
until I have made the last cut. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

My grass (SE Virginia) slows down and then pretty much stops growing
in late fall. If you mow when the lawn needs mowing, the "last cut" is
automatic. You cut it; it doesn't grow any more; you garage the mower.
If you mow every 5 days, no matter the need, I haven't a clue.

BTW, I have paid attention the past few years, and the grass *begins*
growing again right around the vernal equinox.