Old 04-10-2003, 07:02 AM
Rowe

Default Pin Cushion groundcover...can you help me find out more?

I just picked up a fantastic little plant at the grocery store, in all
my years haunting local nurseries and poring over seed and plant
catalogs I've never seen anything like it. Unfortunately, the tag
doesn't give a great deal of information, only the name "Pin Cushion"
and the fact that it's a shade tolerant ground cover. It's not a
Scabiosa (Scabious?) it looks for all the world like Baby's Tears
covered with tiny, shiny orange berries. There are also varieties with
yellow or white berries.

Can anyone here tell me the scientific name for it or give me any advice
about growing it? It's a fabulous little plant and I want it to succeed
in my garden.

Thanks for your time

Kelly

Old 07-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Don Fitch

In article , Kelly
) wrote:

I just picked up a fantastic little plant at the grocery store, in all
my years haunting local nurseries and poring over seed and plant
catalogs I've never seen anything like it. Unfortunately, the tag
doesn't give a great deal of information, only the name "Pin Cushion"
and the fact that it's a shade tolerant ground cover. It's not a
Scabiosa (Scabious?) it looks for all the world like Baby's Tears
covered with tiny, shiny orange berries. There are also varieties with
yellow or white berries.

Can anyone here tell me the scientific name for it or give me any advice
about growing it? It's a fabulous little plant and I want it to succeed
in my garden.

I second that request. Cutest little plant I've seen in ages,
and (even though I worked in the greenhouses at the Los Angeles
County Arboretum for 20+ years) I don't have the faintest idea
what it might be, or whether it needs terrarium conditions, cold
winters, or might thrive outside here in Southern California.
Grumpf on Growers who sell plants without a functional name...
but I'll probably buy one if there are any left next shopping-
trip, even though there's a high probability that it'll turn out
to be the kind of thing that (at best) looks great for a few weeks
and blah all the rest of the year.

Don Fitch,
who, after all, doesn't _ever_ look especially great.

Old 07-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Siberian Husky

Rowe wrote in message ...
I just picked up a fantastic little plant at the grocery store, in all
my years haunting local nurseries and poring over seed and plant
catalogs I've never seen anything like it. Unfortunately, the tag
doesn't give a great deal of information, only the name "Pin Cushion"
and the fact that it's a shade tolerant ground cover. It's not a
Scabiosa (Scabious?) it looks for all the world like Baby's Tears
covered with tiny, shiny orange berries. There are also varieties with
yellow or white berries.

Can anyone here tell me the scientific name for it or give me any advice
about growing it? It's a fabulous little plant and I want it to succeed
in my garden.

I saw it in a local nursery (Molbaks, in Woodinville, Washington), but
now I forgot its scientific name. I remember more sunshine results in
more orange berries.

If you want, you can contact Molbaks directly
(http://www.molbaks.com/) and ask the staffs or wait for a few more
days if nobody else answers you. I was just there the past weekend.

Thanks for your time

Kelly