Old 07-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Neil

Default Tree/bush with blue berries - what is it?

A small cluster of these small trees (large bushes?) are growing on my
property.
They were pretty non-descript until the fall when they suddenly became
covered with
very small blue berries. Anyone know what kind of tree this is? I'm in Zone
5 (connecticut)

Nothing seems to be eating the berries, so I'm assuming they're toxic.

There's a picture at

http://www.panix.com/~nradisch/blueberries.jpg

Neil

Old 08-10-2003, 04:03 AM
Bob Provencher

"Neil" wrote in message ...
A small cluster of these small trees (large bushes?) are growing on my
property.
They were pretty non-descript until the fall when they suddenly became
covered with
very small blue berries. Anyone know what kind of tree this is? I'm in

Zone
5 (connecticut)

Could be a serviceberry or juneberry, but those are edible.

--
Bob Provencher
ICQ 881862

Old 08-10-2003, 04:12 AM

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:30:10 -0400, "Neil" wrote:
A small cluster of these small trees (large bushes?) are growing on my
property.
They were pretty non-descript until the fall when they suddenly became
covered with
very small blue berries. Anyone know what kind of tree this is? I'm in Zone
5 (connecticut)
Nothing seems to be eating the berries, so I'm assuming they're toxic.
There's a picture at
http://www.panix.com/~nradisch/blueberries.jpg

I think that's Arrowwood Viburnum. I have a few and the berries do
get eaten.

Swyck
Old 09-10-2003, 09:12 AM
gregpresley

there is a bush with vivid irridescent purple berries that are revealed at
this time of year, often called "beauty berry" - I think its latin name is
callicarpa. Maybe you could check that. Those berries are often not touched
for quite some time into the late fall/winter. However, I would not describe
the berries as very small, so maybe this is not what you have.
"Karen" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message

. ..
On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:30:10 -0400, "Neil" wrote:
A small cluster of these small trees (large bushes?) are growing on my
property.
They were pretty non-descript until the fall when they suddenly became
covered with
very small blue berries. Anyone know what kind of tree this is? I'm in

Zone
5 (connecticut)
Nothing seems to be eating the berries, so I'm assuming they're toxic.
There's a picture at
http://www.panix.com/~nradisch/blueberries.jpg
I think that's Arrowwood Viburnum. I have a few and the berries do
get eaten.

Swyck

Not. The leaf is different.

Old 09-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Allview

Whatever those trees are I wouldn't mind having some. I guessed some type of
viburnum when I saw the picture but I am far from being an expert. It would be
nice to have late winter berries for the birds.

Marilyn in Ohio
Old 09-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Neil

It's a shame they're not next to my hollies. The red and blue berries
together
would make quite a sight.

Old 09-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Marcy Hege

Maybe some type of Clerodendrum?
Old 09-10-2003, 03:32 PM
animaux

Looks like you may have a rare specimen. Rusty blackhaw viburnum. Have it
identified by a botanical garden center. They are very hard to come by in the
trade. I have been trying to get cuttings for years.

Take a look here to see if it matches your shrub/tree.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...vrufidulum.htm

Victoria

Old 09-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Karen

"Neil" wrote in message ...
A small cluster of these small trees (large bushes?) are growing on my
property.
They were pretty non-descript until the fall when they suddenly became
covered with
very small blue berries. Anyone know what kind of tree this is? I'm in Zone
5 (connecticut)

Nothing seems to be eating the berries, so I'm assuming they're toxic.

There's a picture at

http://www.panix.com/~nradisch/blueberries.jpg

Neil

Chokeberry?

I don't think it's toxic. It's bitter. Nothing bothers them until
there no other food left in winter.

I'm not an expert. The contractor whom from I bought my house told me
the name. There are quite a few of them in my backyard woodland. The
shrub reseeds itself. The small babies everywhere under the tree, not
invasive to lawn though.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:02 PM
animaux

I wasn't able to see those details on a non-close up shot. When trying to have
things identified, it's always best to take photos of each segment, foliage,
flowers and berries or fruits. Large photos of the plant, out of focus...well,
not easy to identify.

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 12:34:19 -0400, "Neil" opined:

No, the leaves are more obviously serated on the edges, and the berries are
a bright blue.

.. .

Old 10-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Neil said:

No, the leaves are more obviously serated on the edges, and the berries are
a bright blue.

Possibly common buckthorn ( Rhamnus cathartica)?

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/rhca1.htm
http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/esadocs/franalnu.html
--
Pat in Plymouth MI