Old 11-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Anthony

Default Patching Lawn

I recently removed a tree, ground out the tree stump, and patched the
area with sod.

It appears that I put too much dirt in and now there is a slight hump
in this area. However, I am trying to determine if there was already
a "hump" there, due to the tree.

When trees are planted, is the soil around the tree trunk usually
graded towards the tree trunk?

I guess what I am trying to figure out if it is worthwhile to remove
the recently installed sod, and properly level the soil and
re-sod...I'm not sure if the hump is already there in the existing
soil.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:02 PM
David J Bockman

It's doubtful any installer would take the time to regrade the area around
all but the very largest of tree plantings. When done properly, the mulched
ring will create a gentle slope into the trunk to make a sort of 'moat',
however.

Regardless, unless the mound is really very noticable, it will probably
settle to grade or very near grade after a few months as the base of the
trunk and roots that you didn't grind rot.

Dave

om...

Old 11-10-2003, 02:22 PM
brianflay

I have had this problem on a number of occasions and gained the best results
by adding no extra soil. Just pulling in the surrounding hump should have
been sufficient as the tree would have removed none of the surrounding soil.
Only adding extra soil if there remained a definite depression. The only
exception has been when a tree has been blown down with roots and soil
removed. As you have already added soil then the best advice would be to
leave for a couple of years to allow rotting and settlement and then remove
the turf and regrade if necessary. The weight of minerals that any plant
removes from the ground is minimal.
Best wishes
"Anthony" wrote in message
om...
I recently removed a tree, ground out the tree stump, and patched the
area with sod.

It appears that I put too much dirt in and now there is a slight hump
in this area. However, I am trying to determine if there was already
a "hump" there, due to the tree.

When trees are planted, is the soil around the tree trunk usually
graded towards the tree trunk?

I guess what I am trying to figure out if it is worthwhile to remove
the recently installed sod, and properly level the soil and
re-sod...I'm not sure if the hump is already there in the existing
soil.

Any advise would be appreciated.

[IMG] code is On

Patching up lawn Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney Lawns 5 07-05-2016 01:23 PM
Emergency patching of brown area in lawn tenplay Gardening 4 12-06-2007 03:42 AM
Earliest time of the year to start overseeding patching lawn (UK)? Zarch Lawns 2 10-02-2006 03:49 PM
patching the liner a lot bjt Ponds 1 14-03-2004 03:52 PM
patching grass for new homeowner Phisherman Gardening 0 17-02-2003 04:15 AM